wiring a shed from the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I'm looking to update the wiring in my garage and wire a new shed up at the same time. The shed is 3ft from the garage and i will be feeding cables thro a conduit between the two. The garage is currently supplied by a 3 core SWA cable that measures 15mm dia with insulated cores measuring 4.5mm dia over the insulation. The garage is about 3M from the house with about 6M of the SWA from the consumer unit in the house to the garage. I've purchased an MCG RCD protected garage unit with 2 pole 63A 30mA RCD, 1X 6A MCB type B & 1 16AMCB type B. The box construction is plastic.
I would like to have 1 double socket in the garage with 2x 4ft strip lights. I also currently have 2x 150W flood lights on the garage as well.
In the shed I have fitted 2x 600mm lg 115Lm strip lights, a 120w flood outside and maybe a double socket in the shed.
Questions are what sort of switches/junction boxes do I need in the shed, ie waterproof ones or just normal ones that are used in the house? By the description of the SWA cable running into the garage, what sort of glanding do I need? I was looking at an external gland kit 25 IP66 item 66552 from Screwfix. Any other information/tips would be appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
First - this is notifiable work, so lawbreaking seems inevitable. Details here.

With regards to the other information provided:
- what is the SWA currently connected to in the house consumer unit?
- Is there an RCD in the house consumer unit? Does it cover the existing garage circuit?
- what is the SWA currently connected to in the garage?
- what type of conduit will be between the garage and shed, and where will this be (on a fence, wall, underground, other? )
- what types and sizes of cables have been used / will be used for the lights and sockets in the garage / shed?

Answers to your questions:
- a 25 gland is far too big. 20S is more likely.
- Switches and sockets need to be suitable for the environment they are installed in.
- You don't need any junction boxes.

First - this is notifiable work, so lawbreaking seems inevitable. Details here.

With regards to the other information provided:
- what is the SWA currently connected to in the house consumer unit? A 15A MCB - Is there an RCD in the house consumer unit? Does it cover the existing garage circuit? Not sure what I'm looking for there. The consumer unit had wired fuses in it and have been replaced by push in MCB's. The cable omes into the house, through a black box to the meter and from the meter to the consumer unit.- what is the SWA currently connected to in the garage? A fused switch and from there to a couple of junction boxes and away to lights etc.
- what type of conduit will be between the garage and shed, and where will this be (on a fence, wall, underground, other? ) Stainless steel. The conduit runs through the wall of the garage across the 3ft gap between the shed and the garage and then through the side of the shed.- what types and sizes of cables have been used / will be used for the lights and sockets in the garage / shed? 1.5sq mm for lights and 2.5sqmm for socket.
Answers to your questions:
- a 25 gland is far too big. 20S is more likely.
- Switches and sockets need to be suitable for the environment they are installed in.
- You don't need any junction boxes.

Plug in MCBs means there is no RCD, if there was one it would have been fitted between the meter and house fusebox.

As the whole lot is supplied via a 15A circuit, there is no point in fitting another CU in the garage.

One possible solution:
Fit an RCD in an enclosure in the garage , cables from that directly to the sockets. Fit a 5A fused spur for the lighting.

The whole lot will be limited to 15A (about 3.5kW) so hopefully you were not intending to have any electric heaters, welders or other heavy duty items in there.

Sponsored Links
flameport";p="2016501 said:
Plug in MCBs means there is no RCD, if there was one it would have been fitted between the meter and house fusebox.

As the whole lot is supplied via a 15A circuit, there is no point in fitting another CU in the garage.

One possible solution:
Fit an RCD in an enclosure in the garage , cables from that directly to the sockets. Fit a 5A fused spur for the lighting. So that's a fused spur off the cable to the sockets?
The whole lot will be limited to 15A (about 3.5kW) so hopefully you were not intending to have any electric heaters, welders or other heavy duty items in there. No nothing like that. The unit purchased has n RCD in it, is it still suitable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back