Wiring a spotlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a spotlight that iam trying to wire into a double switch and circuit in the kitchen which has another light at the other end of the kitchen, which ever way I try and wire it, it either wont turn on at the fuse box or it does but the new spotlights wont turn off but the light at the other end will turn off.

I have 3 wires coming thro the ceiling, 2 have 1 live 1 nuetral and 1 earth the 3rd only has a neutral and an earth can anyone advise how they should be wired?

Sponsored Links
Yeah there was a light there before it was on a circular plate with a bank of terminals on. I didnt take notice of how it was wired to it to be honest, its this 3rd wire thats thrown me as its slightly thinner and only has a black and earth wire in it where as the other 2 wires has red black and earth wires.

I have the 3 earth going to 1 terminal block I have the 2 nuetral wires going to a terminal block and the 2 red wires going to another terminal block. The wire with just a nuetral and earth wire i have the nuetral wire going to its own terminal block.

Sponsored Links
You need a multimeter to determine which is the switched live wire (with the power off). Most likely the solitary black that should be sleeved red, if it is. Just 'cos I've said that, DON'T ASSUME THAT IT IS!!!

It would be handy if the wire was marked in some way but it isnt :/ Thats the council for you I guess, If it is that one I presume that it would goto the live side with the other 2 black going to the nuetral side and the 2 obvs red wires should just be joined together via chocki bleck? (terminal block)

For now I have seperated all the wires to individual temrinal block just to get the downstairs circuit back on

If they are all individually separated, turn power off, try for continuity between that black cable and one of the reds, play with the switch, if nothing try the next red, as above. If still nothing, try with the other blacks to reds etc..
What colours do you have at the switch and are they in the same grey sleeving, or separate?

Ok Iam with your help starting to get on the right track as one of the wires that has live nuetral and earth wires coming from it behind the switch plate has a nuetral wire with a piece of red tape on it, so the wire with only earth and nuetral is actually a nuetral wire and one of the other 2 wires with the 3 different wires coming from it has the live return, next question is then with the 2 red wires do i just connect them together via terminal block?

Or do the 2 reds still have to goto the live side even with the live return? or would that leave the light on perm like i suspect?

Right, once you've discovered which 'black' is actually the switch wire, that goes on its own (red taped??). Other two blacks go together, the reds go together, all earths together. Connect the live (brown) from the light fitting to your black/red/ on its own cable, the neutral to, you know that!! and the earth if it has one goes etc..

Thank you very much will post again if i run into any other problem not that i see one coming but you never know :) and will red tape the live return as its the sensible thing to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back