wiring a switch to down lights ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need help wiring a light switch to my down lights now the down lights obviously has a control box so i want to wire a switch into it so that i can control it that way rather than switch it off at the plug.

I have a switch it has 4 terminals on the back with L1 L2 L3 and L4 i have, am i right in saying that i need to use normal household electrical cable it has red black and a bare wire on it.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I need help wiring a light switch to my down lights now the down lights obviously has a control box so i want to wire a switch into it so that i can control it that way rather than switch it off at the plug.

Are you saying that your down light have been connected to a circuit other that the lighting circuit?
The plug comment suggests you have a cable powering the down lights via a plug and hence on a ring circuit.

Please be precise and CLEAR with you answer, so I or someone can help further.

I have a switch it has 4 terminals on the back with L1 L2 L3 and L4 i have, am i right in saying that i need to use normal household electrical cable it has red black and a bare wire on it.

thanks.

Standard twin and earth lighting cable is 1.5mm and comes with live (brown) and neutral (blue) and a CPC bare earth core which should be sleeved in grn / yellow sleeving.

The switch question is (again) a muddle.
Are you intending to have the down lights on a same switch circuit as other lighting, do you want it on its own lighting switch and if so, are you suggesting changing a single light switch to a double switch??

I'm at a loss to understand what your trying to do, and what you have already done?

Hi,

Are you saying that your down light have been connected to a circuit other that the lighting circuit?
The plug comment suggests you have a cable powering the down lights via a plug and hence on a ring circuit.

Please be precise and CLEAR with you answer, so I or someone can help further.

thanks.

Standard twin and earth lighting cable is 1.5mm and comes with live (brown) and neutral (blue) and a CPC bare earth core which should be sleeved in grn / yellow sleeving.

The switch question is (again) a muddle.
Are you intending to have the down lights on a same switch circuit as other lighting, do you want it on its own lighting switch and if so, are you suggesting changing a single light switch to a double switch??

I'm at a loss to understand what your trying to do, and what you have already done?

yes the down lights are powered via a plug and is attached to a transformer and yes its on a ring circuit so i want it to have its own switch that i can use a dimmer switch.

this is going to sound odd, but i am not there so cant see.

these lights

1) can you tell us more about them*

2) does the cable just run up the wall, across the ceiling to the lights?

* pics always help, posting a pic info is in forum information

Sponsored Links
Giving up any attempt of technical response, since the OP can't be bothered to supply clear information.

This is the 1st time I've ever failed to offer a poster help- thanks for being vague and unhelpful- Mr Singhters you don't understand enough to give answers, please give the job to a technically qualified person before you hurt yourself :rolleyes:

Chri5, you know what, he is providing very little at all.

From reading his "info" I think he is trying to wire a standard lamp / table lamp into a circuit.

It sounds to me as if the lamp has a dimmer a long the supplyu cable to a 13a plug

He is clearly absolutely bonkers!!!!!!!!

kitchen undercupboard lights? You can buy these in threes with a tranny and plug attached. Most annoying if they are taking up a wall socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back