Wiring a washing machine in a shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My downstairs shower room has an enclosed shower cubicle.
I would like to put the washing machine in the shower room (about 2 metres from the shower head).
I could take the power lead from the machine through the wall and plug it in to a main power ring socket outside of the room. Alternatively, I could take a spur from the ring main in the other room and plug the machine in to the new socket. The circuits are protected by RCD fuse
Are both suggestions legal?
Which is the best solution?

Sponsored Links
To comply with BS7671 you should install the washing machine in Z3 of the shower room (after seeking assurance from the maker of the device that its suitable for installation in Z3 of a shower room), you should drill through the wall and install an Switched FCU with flex outlet spured off your socket(which should be on directly on a ring and be on an RCD protected ring) in 2.5mm² T+E this FCU should also be installed in Z3. You should then extend your supp. bonding to this FCU (and install it if it doesn't exist at all), and connect your washing machine to your new FCU.

You should also be aware that Part P of the building regulations requires this work to be notified to your local building control office...

(please note that an RCD has a test button, I'm not sure that by your used of the term 'rcd fuse' that you might be wrongly applying the term to a wylex standard MCB)

Sponsored Links
one other point:

make sure the appliance is OK for use in the steamy environment. may invalidate the warranty

Adam_151 said:
(after seeking assurance from the maker of the device that its suitable for installation in Z3 of a shower room)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back