wiring advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am taking out a normal light fitting in my bathroom and putting half a dozen sunken lights in

the old light had 4 wires going to/from it hence i have to include these in my new fitting

1 wire which looks as though it goes to another light
1 wire which goes via a shaver point downstairs
1 wire which feeds the pull cord switch
1 wire which is 4 core which goes down a wall (unknown)

i have wired all 4 into a junction box with the switch live on the 4 core to the live on the pull cord (everything is working as normal)

i have then taken a 5th cable from the junction box to another junction box to power my lights,this cable has been wired to the neutral and switched live

it is all working but not sure if it is the best practice to do it like this

not sure if it is important or not but there is also a fan which switches on and off with the light which is also working normally

please see the below picture any advice is welcome

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm not a spark so can't really advise but you appear to have an unconnected earth or two. Is that intentional?

not intentional but was messing around to try to make it a bit simpler and not put them all back in yet

Sponsored Links
All the outer insulation on the cable should enter the junction box.All the earths should be connected together in the box (but not to lights if Class 2)

Work in a bathroom is notifiable to your LABC if you are in England or Wales.

looks like you connected jb correct but i would advise that you use a 20amp 4 pin jb not 3 pin (this will eliminate the need for the extra connector).
the 4 core is for your fan.
remember if you are putting recessed spot lights in a bathroom they have to be the correct IP rated for the bathroom zone they are installed.IP54 i think should cover you anywhere in a bathroom.
also you need at least 300mm of heat resistant flex connected from your spot light.

i know about the cables but this was just to put light back on tonite

i also do not have to notify anyone if i do the work myself in my own house

all i am after is checking if there is a better way of doing the wiring than shown/ described

all acbles will be re- wired correctly

dale_moseley19 said:
i also do not have to notify anyone if i do the work myself in my own house

What about when you come to sell it?

It's the law.

yeah the lights come with the heat resistant flex and are IP65 (think thats what u meant)

didnt know about the 4 core until they were out but will be a bigger junction box for that

wanted to get out of the 5 cables from the one box though if this is possible

not meaning to be funny but i dont want to get into regs just want to sort out if it is safe or not

You need a bigger JB and to have the outer insulation of the cables within the jb. Also you should be complying to Part P, especially with this quality of work.

as i said before this is temporary for tonite to keep my other lights working and now i know i need a 4 core jb i will get one, unfortunately i dont a a 24 hour supplier

all the wiring will be done correctly

i am trying to sort out if there is a better simpler ay of wiring the circuit or if this way is the best way to keep everything working

dale_moseley19 said:
not meaning to be funny but i dont want to get into regs just want to sort out if it is safe or not
no, because earths are unconnected. Connect them up, and go out tomorrow and buy a bigger 5 terminal junction box.

NEVER re-energise an installation without connecting the circuit protective conductors. :evil:

Its hideous, frankly. You can judge the quality of electrical workmanship by how good it looks. If rob would be so kind as to post a picture of one of his immaculate consumer units . . . ;) :LOL:

Crafty said:
If Rob would be so kind as to post a picture of one of his immaculate consumer units . . . ;) :LOL:

Not wheeled out the domestic S/L for a while ;)

Chrissboard.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back