Wiring and certificates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was working in a mechanics garage and found a strange wiring configuration Im not sure if its bad practice or frowned upon, more importantly how to write it on the certificate

Coming out of the mcb was a red and yellow, blue went to neutral (colors noted) the red and blue fed 2 lights and were switched on their own. In the back of one of the lights the yellow joined onto a red from a twin and earth and the blue joined onto the black from the twin and earth, this twin and earth then fed a seperate switch controlling 2 seperate lights.

would you write it down as 1 circuit and take the highest readings from it?

Another question I had was there was a 5amp cartridge fuse supplying 3 lights and someone had wired the intruder spur onto this circuit as well, how would you write this down on the certificate as they should be seperate.

When I ask how would you write it down Im just after advice as to how you would put it on the cable test schedule

Sponsored Links
It's a report, not a certificate :)

It's a single circuit, albeit a messy single circuit. Treat it as one.

Regarding the alarm, you can only describe it as lighting and intruder alarm.
As long as the alarm is protected by an adequately rated FCU as per the MI then it's just bad practice sharing the same circuit, nothing more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back