Wiring bathroom fan in loft void

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have two questions about an timer extractor fan set-up I'm putting in the bathroom. The important point is that the fan itself is not in the bathroom. It's an in-line duct fan and is located in the loft void above, so there are no actual electrics in the bathroom.

According to the place I got the fan this is therefore not considered a special location in terms of the wiring regs : http://www.fantronix.com/acatalog/Fitting_an_Extractor_Fan.html

My questions were:
First: are they right about the wiring regs?
Second: regarding the wiring, should I use an FCU and/or an isolator for this type of fan and if so, could this double as the fan switch?

Many thanks for any help.
All the best, Reg

Sponsored Links
If the equipment is outside the zones, I don't see why not.
FCU if it needs down fusing or RCD protected FCU if not already protected elsewhere by an RCD.

Thanks for that info PBD
Does it need an RCD if the fan isn't actually in the bathroom and is only 24W? I thought RCDs were for high wattage bathroom applieances.
Thanks,
Reg

It needs the RCD reguardless of wattage/useage etc.

ALL items in a bathroom now need RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
Thanks London Boy
The point is this fan ISN'T in the bathroom. It's in the loft. There's just a vent grille in the bathroom ceiling - no electrics at all. Would that set up need this RCD?
Cheers, Reg

Oops sorry I must read posts properly! :oops:

I think you might be right and no it wont need RCD protection, but id definately recommend it!

What were you thinking about doing reguarding the switching?

if your extending the circuit, the new bit needs to have rcd protection, if the circuit is already covered by a rcd/rcbo at the CU that will do, it is a new requirement. So if your installing an FCU these can be purchased with RCD protection as well.
In my original post I did mean out side the bathroom, rather than the zones

if your extending the circuit, the new bit needs to have rcd protection, if the circuit is already covered by a rcd/rcbo at the CU that will do, it is a new requirement. So if your installing an FCU these can be purchased with RCD protection as well.
In my original post I did mean out side the bathroom, rather than the zones

Even if the fan is fitted outside the bathoom?
And if the cables are run surface?

You may also need a 3 pole isolator.

How will you run the cables to the FCU located which is located outside the bathroom?
Will they be concealed in the wall at a depth of less than 50mm from the surface of the plaster?

Hi Garymo, thanks for the answer. I'll run the cable in the wall cavity. The walls are made of wood, not plaster and there's a cavity about 10 in across. Does that make things more complicated!
Cheers, Reg

If the cable is installed less than 50mm from the surface of the plaster with no mechanical protection (either side) then it'll need RCD protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back