wiring cord pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old cord pull switch (for a light) has broken. The new one has a different set of terminals: the previous switch had two cables entering, each with live, neutral and earth, and 5 terminals: 2 live, 2 neutral and 1 earth. The new one has only 4 terminals: L1 L2 COM L and earth. I don't want to fuse the system, so which wire goes where in the new switch?

BM

Sponsored Links
As is asked so often on this forum, Piccies please. A photo tells a thousand words.

Not necessarily - if it is only for a light.

Bill - is it only for a light?

And do you have a multimeter?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the swift responses. Yes, it is simply a light switch (and not even in a bathroom). I hope the pictures are visible -- the upper terminals on the old switch are labelled 'LOAD' and the lower terminals are labelled 'FEED'.

BM

Sorry, as a newcomer I'm afraid I can't seem to work out how to include pictures. I've asked for help, and will post them as soon as I get the info.

BM

Yes, it is simply a light switch
In that case you can use the switch you've bought, as lights don't need double-pole switching.

But unless you have a multimeter you won't be able to confirm that red is actually the live conductor - it should be and almost certainly is, but it's not something you can just hope you're getting right.

And as Steve says, some of your existing wiring might be very dodgy.

more interesting is the signs that the screws were not making contact with the wires, rather just holding them against the back of the terminal hole.. ( screw marks are on the insulation on both red wires. )

Thanks to everyone for helpful comments: used multimeter, changed switch for double pole anyway, light works.

BM

Will do as soon as I can get an electrician -- not easy here at the end of the world

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back