Wiring double socket - complete novice

Taylortwocities said:
What for? AFAIK she has got a plastic wall mounted box.

Now established as a dead post but OP never said anything about a plastic box. Or if she did, I missed it :cry:

Anyway, can I ask why double sockets have appeared with two or more earth terminals? Is this something to do with clean earths in an office envronment or is this a different issue again? :confused:

I've found references by socket manufacturers to reg 607 BS7671 but I don't have access to that information.

Also found this http://media.iee.org/Publish/WireRe...nts/PreIssue14/2001_9_spring_bs_7671_2001.pdf but it's a little on the light side.

Sponsored Links
Having two earth terminals is used for high integrity earthing - this is not related to 'clean earths' which is a separate thing entirely. High integrity earthing is required where there are high levels of CPC currents, usually where a number of computers are connected to the same circuit.

Reg 607 basically says that circuits feeding such equipment shall provide high integrity earthing which is either the use of a separate large earth conductor, or a ring created for the CPC where each conductor must be connected into separate earth terminals at all connection points.

Thanks Davy. That clears things up (sort of).

I suppose I am struggling a bit to see what the difference would be between having say two earths in one terminal or one in two interconnected but separate terminals.

Is it that a wire to each screw terminal gives the best connection/least noise possible on the earth and would this be the same as having an excelent connection with two wires in one screw terminal?

Also, why more than two earth terminals? Are others for a flyback?

The purpose of using two separate terminals for high integrity earthing is that if one cable comes loose then there is still an earth connection, where as if both conductors were in the same terminal you would be left with no earth connection.

If there are more than two earth terminals then one is probably for a clean earth which is a separate CPC just for the computer sockets nothing else.

Sponsored Links
Is it me or do girls seem to get more 'attention' than boys when posted?

I wonder why that is :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back