Wiring for ceiling rose with dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I am having a problem with two lights connected to a dimmer switch in one room of my house. I have looked through the FAQ/Stickies and can't find the answer.

I am replacing the two lights in the room, one I wired OK (L2 in the diagram), and the other (L1 in the diagram) is proving difficult and I am now stuck! I have no idea how to wire up the cable labelled D in the diagram.

Could someone take a look at the diagram at the link below and offer any suggestions please?

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_fullsize.html?c_photo=1004471812

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
You say you have wired L2 but has it worked? Where does cable D run to? Are these new circuits?

Sponsored Links
Where was D connected before you took down the old light?

Does L1 work with cable D not connected?

Does anything elsewhere not work that used to?

Is D 3-core + earth?

No, L2 isn't working as I suspect it's dependent on L1 being wired correctly.

I have no idea where cable D runs to, but the colouring of the wires running in this cable look suspiciously like the sort you would find inside a switch itself. D has a red, blue, yellow and an earth (sorry, I missed the earth off on cable D in the diagram)

These aren't new circuits, all cabling was already in place, I am just simply replacing 2 old pendants with 2 new track lights. Unfortunately the ceiling rose of L1 came apart (with some plaster!) and I was unable to note down all of the wiring of cables A-D in the ceiling rose.

L1 Does not work at all in the config shown in the diagram but all the other lights on the same loop upstairs are working fine.

Both sides originally worked correctly - one side controlled L1 and the other L2.

Currently, as wired up in the first diagram, neither L1 or L2 are working - so neither side of the dimmer switch is working correctly.

Cable D is obviously from the dimmer switch, but I don't know how to connect cable D up to the correct terminal blocks (1-4) for L1.

The red wire from C needs to connect to the permanent live block with the other two reds. Black from D connects to the neutral block. Yellow from C connects to a spare piece of chock block to lamp 1 live only.
(or in the event of a ceiling rose, use the chock block for the connection between the blue wire and red wire for lamp no 2 and use the terminal for lamp 1)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back