Wiring for new ceiling pendant light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought a new light with live, neutral and earth wire inputs. The current ceiling wiring is as per the image.

Am I right in that the green and yellow is earth, red to brown is live, the black to blue is neutral and the two red ones in the middle are separate (switch wires?) I was advised by an electrician if this is the case just to put the two other red ones into connector boxes as they are not necessary.

I have rewired it as above but the light didn't come on so now working out what I have done wrong?

I had to extend the earth cable slightly and used thinner earth cabling and a 5 amp connector box, would this affect it not working?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20151201_122112840 (1).jpg
    IMG_20151201_122112840 (1).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
Am I right in that the green and yellow is earth, red to brown is live, the black to blue is neutral and the two red ones in the middle are separate (switch wires?)
Almost, assuming it did work when it was like this:

screenshot_806.jpg

The two reds together will be permanent live from the lighting circuit and to the switch, the one on its own is the switched live from the switch

I was advised by an electrician if this is the case just to put the two other red ones into connector boxes as they are not necessary.
Let's charitably assume that either he misunderstood you, or you him.

I have rewired it as above but the light didn't come on so now working out what I have done wrong?
Did you put the two reds which were in the same terminal in the rose into the same connector?

If not, that's what you did wrong.

If you did then check that screws etc are bearing down on the copper conductors, not the insulation.

I had to extend the earth cable slightly and used thinner earth cabling and a 5 amp connector box, would this affect it not working?
Nope.

Almost, assuming it did work when it was like this:

screenshot_806.jpg

The two reds together will be permanent live from the lighting circuit and to the switch, the one on its own is the switched live from the switch

Let's charitably assume that either he misunderstood you, or you him.

Did you put the two reds which were in the same terminal in the rose into the same connector?

If not, that's what you did wrong.

If you did then check that screws etc are bearing down on the copper conductors, not the insulation.

Nope.

Thanks for the detailed reply, i hadn't put the two reds into the same connector, just to clarify they should be one either end as per the photo?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20151202_083948001.jpg
    IMG_20151202_083948001.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the detailed reply, i hadn't put the two reds into the same connector,
Generally it's a good idea when something works as it should when all the wires are connected in a certain way to keep that way when replacing lights and accessories etc. ;)

just to clarify they should be one either end as per the photo?
(y)

Thanks for the detailed reply, i hadn't put the two reds into the same connector,
Generally it's a good idea when something works as it should when all the wires are connected in a certain way to keep that way when replacing lights and accessories etc. ;)

just to clarify they should be one either end as per the photo?
(y)

Thanks for this. So I thought I had wired it all up correctly but still no light. Looking up into the ceiling I can see a black and red cable coming out of one end, and the two reds coming out of the other end. So I am now thinking perhaps I wired incorrectly. Am I right in assuming that those 2 reds should be the ones in the same connector and the red coming out of the same hole as the black wire is the live one? Currently this isn't how I have it wired (I have one of the reds where the two reds come out as the live) case so I'm now wondering if I've wired incorrectly.

Thanks

Attachments

• wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 229
Nice picture of your hand!
Can we see the connections next?
Haha well you should be able to see what I'm referring to or I'm guessing someone can answer without the photo..that light box has two holes for the wires - out of one comes two red wires and out of the other comes a black and a red, will that red (coming out od the same hole as the black) be the live wire?

Thanks

Looking up into the ceiling I can see a black and red cable coming out of one end, and the two reds coming out of the other end. So I am now thinking perhaps I wired incorrectly. Am I right in assuming that those 2 reds should be the ones in the same connector and the red coming out of the same hole as the black wire is the live one? Currently this isn't how I have it wired (I have one of the reds where the two reds come out as the live) case so I'm now wondering if I've wired incorrectly.
If you have one cable with red & black, and the other with two reds, then it's almost certain that the cable with red & black is bringing power to the light fitting (L & N) and the cable with two reds is the loop to the switch. In that case, you need the supply red (L) connected to one of the red switch wires. The supply black (N) and the other red switch wire then go to the light.

Are these actually in composite cables or are they singles in conduit? It's hard to see from the photos.

Put one of the two reds together with the red that is with the black in their own connector.

The other red and the black feed the fitting, along with a cpc (earth wire).

If you have a multigang switch, it will matter which of the two reds you connect to the other red (the one with the black).

Put one of the two reds together with the red that is with the black in their own connector.

The other red and the black feed the fitting, along with a cpc (earth wire).

If you have a multigang switch, it will matter which of the two reds you connect to the other red (the one with the black).

Thanks, this makes it clear. It also meàns I had wired it correctly originally but it wasn't working so I'm assuming a wire came loose when I was fixing the fitting to the ceiling. Will try again!

Thanks

If that does not work we will have to think again.

How is the earth wire attached?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back