Wiring for new extension

FFS !!

Ban all sheds, what a cock u are !

Fortunately not everyone is as thick as u might think !

I have never had any problems doing a rewire. I mean no dis respect to electricians when I say that it is an easy job, done sometimes by uneducated school leavers who do an apprenticeship and take college exams, and then go on to be very good professionals.

Before u say anything, I did an apprenticeship !!

Electrical safety is an easy subject imho, never had any trouble wiring up a wall box, fuse box, lights, or any circuits in between. Never had a fire, a blown fuse or anything that would make you think the job had been done anything other than by a professional. All my circuits were tested as well as I could do with non professional testing equipment which as far as I am aware test for continuity or circuits, shorts etc.

I understand the need for legislation to prevent unsafe practices, however for technically able and intelligent people it is very frustrating.

My original question, and not too hard for me to grasp u pillock, is the regs for a roof like mine. If I am told the correct way to run wires then I can run them like any trained chimp could do, I just want to do it correctly.

Once again I mean no offence to electricians out there ! There are people who do things unsafely and I have found their bodges myself and corrected them, I understand your concerns tho. However it is not a reason to tar everyone with the same brush, I am not an idiot !!

All I wanted to know is if the wires are run round the roof, inside rafters, under the rafters, along the floor, it's not hard to grasp, but for u my question was !! All I want is up to date techniques !

If you can't give balanced polite advice rather than trying to belittle good capable diy people then please stop posting as u are just annoying. Why come on a forum to act like that when all I want is a little advice.

Thanks !

Graham

p.s. thanks for all other posters on the subject

Sponsored Links
So, chimps could do what we do for a living but you have to ask and expect free assistance despite the insults.

The electrical regulations are available for anyone to buy - only 464 pages.

The necessary equipment for testing is also available for anyone to buy but you don't have it.
I do not understand why you would not want to have it and learn to use it so that you may ensure that your family is safe - everyone makes mistakes.

Thank you, Graham, for your balanced, polite response.

Frankly, when people start throwing insults around, it shows they have lost the argument.

To say you mean no disrespect to us then call us trained chimps is the kind of comment that will get you zero advice from the professionals on here.

You need to understand BS7671 and use calibrated test equipment to double check your work AND CERTIFY IT. Everyone (even us pro's) can make mistakes, this is what test and inspection is for.

It has not been a requirement just since 2005, it has been a feature of all versions of the regs since the very first edition in 1882.

To say you've never had a fire or a blown fuse means absolutely nothing.

In the 25 plus years I have been in the electrical industry, I have seen some truly awful installations that are incorrectly installed, but luckily, have never caused a fire.

However, if you don't check the safety of your installation, you're taking a huge gamble.

As for wanting a little advice, you've had it, and it was polite. You just didn't like it, that's all.

FFS !!

Ban all sheds, what a cock u are !

Fortunately not everyone is as thick as u might think !
No, but some are.

Some can't even be bothered to write properly, which indicates laziness and a lack of interest in doing a good job.

And some have so little understanding of electrical installation work that they don't know about testing.

I understand the need for legislation to prevent unsafe practices,
Like doing rewires and not testing, for example?

however for technically able and intelligent people it is very frustrating.
I'm sure it is frustrating for people like that.

It would seem that it is also frustrating for those who are not like that.

My original question, and not too hard for me to grasp u pillock, is the regs for a roof like mine.
The regulations are that you must make make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

You have told the council that with this extension that will be achieved by the work complying with BS 7671 (which you have never even heard of) and by being done by a competent person (which you are not).

If I am told the correct way to run wires then I can run them like any trained chimp could do,
So you think you're as good as a chimp?

I am not an idiot
You rewire houses with no knowledge of the Wiring Regulations and no testing. You are an idiot.

Why come on a forum to act like that when all I want is a little advice.
ADVICE:

1) Get an electrician.

2) Use the time you save to improve your written English skills.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back