Wiring for replacing 2 switched ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wanting to replace a ceiling rose with a 5 x spotlight track from Ikea.

Spotlight track is double insulated, so just has positive and neutral connection block.

Room has two switches, so 3 cables at current ceiling rose per photo.

I think I need to combine the correct lives/neutrals into a couple of terminal blocks and then take one live and one neutral from that to the spotlight track connection block, but not sure exactly how, can someone advise?

From the current rose, it looks like I should:
EDIT: Connect the two blacks wire currently in the "FLEX N" block through a new block to the spotlight N block
Connect the black wire currently in the "FLEX L" block through a new block to the spotlight L block
Connect the 3 red wires currently in the "LOOP IN" block together into one new block, no additional connection.

Is that right?

I think I can just disregard the earth wires as my new fitting is double insulated?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2024-03-31 15_29_45-stratosfaer-ceiling-spotlight-with-5-spots-white-chrome-plated__AA-2247628...png
    2024-03-31 15_29_45-stratosfaer-ceiling-spotlight-with-5-spots-white-chrome-plated__AA-2247628...png
    154.2 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20240331_140635380.jpg
    PXL_20240331_140635380.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240331_140434072.jpg
    PXL_20240331_140434072.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Spotlight track is double insulated, so just has positive and neutral connection block.
Line(live) and Neutral. No positive in alternating current.

Room has two switches, so 3 cables at current ceiling rose per photo.
That's not why there are three. One is power supply, one is power to next light, one is to one of the switches.

I think I need to combine the correct lives/neutrals into a couple of terminal blocks and then take one live and one neutral from that to the spotlight track connection block, but not sure exactly how, can someone advise?
You just connect another wire to the lines and another wire to the neutrals and then to the light.

From the current rose, it looks like I should:
Connect the black wire currently in the "FLEX N" block through a new block to the spotlight N block
Connect the black wire currently in the "FLEX L" block through a new block to the spotlight L block
Connect the 3 red wires currently in the "LOOP IN" block together into one new block, no additional connection.

Is that right?
Yes.

I think I can just disregard the earth wires as my new fitting is double insulated?
You must make sure they are all connected together and cannot touch anything else.

If you have to place the connections in the ceiling you will need a suitable junction box - for example:

Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry for the DC terminology, my bad.

Just to check, when you said:
You just connect another wire to the lines and another wire to the neutrals and then to the light.

In my wiring, I think it is the 3 x neutrals (black wires) one in a group of two and one on it's own that go to the light fitting, right? The 3 x lines (red wires) are all getting connected together in the loop section? That is what it looks like in the current rose, and you said what I described there was right. Which means that it is one of those neutrals going to the live in the light, which is what was making me doubt it.

Thanks a lot for the terminal block link, that is perfect, I want that in the ceiling and then just two neat new wires coming out of that and going into the new light fitting. And it looks exactly like what I have in the rose, so I can just wire it up the same way.

The black wire that is currently in the terminal block with the brown wire is NOT a neutral ,it's the switched live, and should be sleeved in either red or brown. Don't mix it up with the other 2 blacks that are neutrals.
You would run a two core flex from the junction box to the new light fitting ,not just two " neat wires" as you put it .

Sponsored Links
A neutral is live conductor, switched live describes its function.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back