Wiring for the garage and welding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope some one can assist with this. I am looking to install electric in my garage for general power for drills, grinders etc from standard sockets, lights, most probably strip lights, but mainly power for welding. My welder is 230v 13A INPUT, with 25 to 130A OUTPUT. I would plan a consumer unit in the garage to seperate the supplies, but what is needed for the RCD spec, and in the house where the power will come from, there is no spare capacity for more circuit breakers. Should there be a breaker in the house, then the consumer unit in the garage? Lastly what size twin and earth would be the correct size, armoured or not. sorry my list is long, and thanks in advance for the replies.
Brian
PS I was looking at this unit for the garage. Any good for what I need?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7592007498&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
gm0uzm said:
Hi all, hope some one can assist with this. I am looking to install electric in my garage for general power for drills, grinders etc from standard sockets, lights, most probably strip lights, but mainly power for welding. My welder is 230v 13A INPUT, with 25 to 130A OUTPUT. I would plan a consumer unit in the garage to seperate the supplies, but what is needed for the RCD spec, and in the house where the power will come from, there is no spare capacity for more circuit breakers. Should there be a breaker in the house, then the consumer unit in the garage? Lastly what size twin and earth would be the correct size, armoured or not. sorry my list is long, and thanks in advance for the replies.
Brian
Do a search here for any of the words garage, shed, workshop, outside, outhouse - it's all been comprehensively covered many times.

PS I was looking at this unit for the garage. Any good for what I need?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....498&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1[/QUOTE]
On principle I wouldn't buy from someone who says this in his advert:

"ALL SOCKETS EXTERNALLY MUST BE PROTECTED BY THEIR OWN RCD-BY LAW!"

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back