wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just had a new window fitted in my kitchen and at the same time the fitter put some wiring through the walls for the wall lights.

I'm not sure if the way it has done is ok or not.

basically, the old switch wire and wire from the previous ceiling rose (not now being used) are wired into a block that is in the wall.

From this comes the main wire to the 1st wall light position, this is then looped onto the next wall light position. This then goes over the ceiling to the other side of the kitchen where there will be some more lighting (under cupboard etc).

However, there is a 3rd wall light position, but because the fitter didn't have time to chase this into the wall, this will have to come from the 2nd wall light position.

Basically I want to know if this will all work?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
excellent. just what i wanted to hear!

If I (for example) want the cupboard lights to work off the same switch as the wall lights, but the plinth lights that I'm planning on putting in off a different switch can I wire another switch wire to the plinth lights, but take the main wire from the last cupboard light?

HANG ON!

"a block that is in the wall"

This reeks of someone not knowing what they're doing!

Post some pictures, so we can see this masterpiece of electrical installation done by a window fitter (!!)

Sponsored Links
i think it was a white block connection.

anyway, think it's incorrect, because I wired up the 1st wall light, which worked fine, wired up the second which had the wire from the 1st, wire to the other side of the kitchen and wire to the 3rd wall light. This blew the fuse. It now doesn't work, nor does the first.

Guess I'll be getting an electrician in!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back