Wiring Hive on Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25 Si or 30 Si

Just thought I would share the wiring I used when I installed the single channel Hive receiver on a Greenstar 30Si boiler

View attachment 111971
Addtional Information

Hive Install Guide
https://www.hivehome.com/attachment/37/download/Thermostat_Install_Guide.pdf
It would appear this is the most useful Hive guide I have seen.

The assumption is that you will already have a boiler fitted and working and will just want to attach the HIVE.

I had a boiler fitted without a timer or stat as I was waiting for my hive package to be sorted by hive due to mis selling by tool station anyway I now have to fit all the wiring so the engineer can just spend a few minutes taking the case of and wiring up instead of a couple of hours fitting the complete hive package. This saves me money and gets it done quicker as he is snowed under with work just now.

Nothing of what Hive gives you in the install booklet makes total sense. It should show your boiler 240v wiring already in place (as you have done above) as I was reading that the Hive was needing a live and neutral from the fuse board.

Providing I am reading it correctly it makes sense.

All I need to do is fit the hive receiver and leave 4 wires for my engineer to connect.? YES

One quick query the link between live and 1 on the hive backplate is not shown on any hive literature what is that achieving on the worcester is it replacing the link between LS and LR that worcester say to take out when fitting 3rd party controllers??

Its not a massive issue as if it does not need it on my 25si its quicker for him to take it out than fit one. ;)

Thanks Again

Sponsored Links
Ls is "Live supply" and Lr is "Live return". Not all boiler manufacturers provide the "live supply" terminal, so in that case, it is picked up from the Hive's main live terminal by adding the link between L & 1. As you have this feature and are running 4 wires excluding any earth (2 of which include a 230v for your L & N supply) then you don't need a link at the Hive.

Just thought I would share the wiring I used when I installed the single channel Hive receiver on a Greenstar 30Si boiler

Thanks for sharing this. Great to see people posting full solutions on here. Used this to wire up Hive to my 37CDi with no problems!

View attachment 111971
Addtional Information

Hive Install Guide
https://www.hivehome.com/attachment/37/download/Thermostat_Install_Guide.pdf
Hi,

apologies for reviving an old thread. I just tried to wire up the Hive controller to my daughter’s Worcester Greenstar boiler wired it exactly as your diagram shows which was also exactly how the old controller was wired, and when I plugged the boiler back in it tripped the RCD. Putting the old controller back makes no difference, and checking at the plug, there is now a dead short between Live and Earth. Disconnecting the main supply wire live at the boiler, the short between the plug pins goes away. So there now appears to be a short on the main board.

It is clear that the board is most probably fried, but I am at a loss as to how this could have been caused with the controller wired up as you have shown.

could the Hive controller be faulty?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

apologies for reviving an old thread. I just tried to wire up the Hive controller to my daughter’s Worcester Greenstar boiler wired it exactly as your diagram shows which was also exactly how the old controller was wired, and when I plugged the boiler back in it tripped the RCD. Putting the old controller back makes no difference, and checking at the plug, there is now a dead short between Live and Earth. Disconnecting the main supply wire live at the boiler, the short between the plug pins goes away. So there now appears to be a short on the main board.

It is clear that the board is most probably fried, but I am at a loss as to how this could have been caused with the controller wired up as you have shown.

could the Hive controller be faulty?
you really should start your own post, it is against site rules and for good reason, to Hi_jack posts, this post has been hi-jacked so many times already, and just gets totally confusing, post pics of what you have done with the wiring, unlikely you have damaged the PCB more likely you have wired it wrong

Last edited:
This wiring diagram didn't work for my 25si boiler using the new V3 hive single channel, so spoke to my mate who is a heating engineer and he walked me through the wiring over the phone.

I used 5 core cable. Neutral to neutral and live to live using the main feed from the boiler, so just adding into to what was already there. These are the terminals on right.
Then obviously earth to earth.

Then ran the
grey from LS(boiler) to 1(hive)
Black from LR(boiler) to 3(hive)
Nothing in NS(boiler)

Also with the boiler chassis still off ,take out the screw top left front of the timer face plate,slide up the bit of plastic, then slide up and out the timer unit and unplug the ribbon cable from the boiler side, not the back of the timer itself.
I then just fitted the timer unit back as it was, so it didn't look odd.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_200220.jpg
    IMG_20231125_200220.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20231125_200059.jpg
    IMG_20231125_200059.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back