Wiring in 2x 16A Neff Ovens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've taken out my double oven which was running off of its own 32A circuit wired in by my Electrician 4 years ago. I'm replacing it with 2x 16A Neff ovens.

There is 1 cooker switch that I was planning on running 2 separate 10mm (what I already have) wires out of - 1 to each oven. Is this ok? I'm not touching the wiring into the fusebox or anything like that!!!

Or alternatively I've seen it suggested that I can "daisy chain" them?

Would appreciate help

Many thanks, Matt[/list]

Sponsored Links
Do u already have any 2.5mm cable ?

Not sure u would get 2 10mm cables in the output terminals

Hi,

I would use 1.5mm heat resistant flex wired into a dual outlet plate.

Regards,

DS

I would use 1.5mm heat resistant flex wired into a dual outlet plate.
Apologies in advance if I've got the wrong person - but aren't you the one who has previously expressed concern about, say, 1.5mm² cable being protected by a 32A OPD, even when one had a load like an oven which is 'unlikely to create an overload'?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not when the two appliances are connected to the same supply on a dual outlet plate. When the appliance is rated at 16a. x 2. The internal wiring of an electric cooker is not 4mm even if the cooker is rated at 7kw total load.

In principal the two ovens become one when connected to the dual outlet plate.

Why would you wire a 16a oven with 4mm or 6mm ?

Regards,

DS

There does seem to be a lot of this on the forum - for example, one moment saying a 1.5 mm flex on a fixed load protected only by a 32 amp device is ok, next moment it's not - and often it is by the same people, whoever they may be.

Not when the two appliances are connected to the same supply on a dual outlet plate. When the appliance is rated at 16a. x 2. The internal wiring of an electric cooker is not 4mm even if the cooker is rated at 7kw total load.
Forget the second cooker. I thought you had previously expressed concern about the final bit of flex on a cooker circuit being too low a CSA to get adequate overload protection from the circuit's OPD? That is obviously true, but what others of us believe is that, per regs, if the load is deemed to be unlikely to create an overload situation, then overload protection is not required (so long as fault protection is adequate) - but I thought you usually argued about that?
As above, I wouldn't. The fact that it's a "16A oven" is not the issue - it's the fact that the circuit (hence cable) is protected by a 32A OPD which worries some people - I thought including you. However, I personally am perfectly happy to invoke 433.3.1(ii) and therefore say that overload protection of the cable is not required (provided that fault protection is satisfactory - which it is required to be).

Kind Regards, John

Hi, not me ! Ask JW2 :LOL:
I've always been consistent about this. There are certainly some, I thought including you, who have described invocation of 433.3.1(ii) (to allow use of an 'undersized' cable in relation to the circuits OPD) to be 'twisting the regulations'.

Kind Regards, John

Forget the second cooker. I thought you had previously expressed concern about the final bit of flex on a cooker circuit being too low a CSA to get adequate overload protection from the circuit's OPD? That is obviously true, but what others of us believe is that, per regs, if the load is deemed to be unlikely to create an overload situation, then overload protection is not required (so long as fault protection is adequate) - but I thought you usually argued about that?
As above, I wouldn't. The fact that it's a "16A oven" is not the issue - it's the fact that the circuit (hence cable) is protected by a 32A OPD which worries some people - I thought including you. However, I personally am perfectly happy to invoke 433.3.1(ii) and therefore say that overload protection of the cable is not required (provided that fault protection is satisfactory - which it is required to be).

Kind Regards, John
Why am i forgetting the second cooker ? It exists and is being connected ? and incase you've forgotten it was what the OP was asking!

Kind regards,

DS

Why am i forgetting the second cooker ? It exists and is being connected ?
I didn't say you were forgetting it. I said that you could forget it as far as this discussion is concerned - since the issue of the overload protection (or not) of the flex would be exactly the same for each of the two ovens - so the same for just one oven as for two.
... and incase you've forgotten it was what the OP was asking!
Indeed, and I am happy with the answer you gave (although I might well suggest 2.5mm² HR flex (rather than 1.5mm²) for each of the ovens, given that 1.5mm² is 'marginal' for 16A. I was just surprised that you gave that answer, given my recollections (perhaps incorrect) of the position you'd taken in the past. If I am mis-remembering, I apologise.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back