Wiring in a 2 gang dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just purchased a replacement 2 gang dimmer but having removed the old dimmer the wiring does not relate to any info I can find online or in the install guide.

The dimmer controls 2 separate lights in the lounge.

There are currently 3 cables and an earth.

On the left side a blue cable with a red band on it goes to the Com and a red to the L2,

On the Right side a yellow cable with red band goes to the Com and a red jump lead from the left side goes into the L1 terminal.

What confuses me is why from what I have read the jump (bridge) does not go from Com to Com and or L1 to L1 instead of L1 to L2.

The new dimmer is a 2 gang 2 way BG Nexus which has the L1, L2 and Com on both sides.

Is it safe to copy the existing wiring or do. I need to follow the online guides of bridging the Com terminal.

Any help much appreciated

Attachments

• 16718078647553786238929059974351.jpg
    16718078647553786238929059974351.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
The red is permanent line and goes into com ,together with the bridge wire to com of the other gang.
Each of the other conductors go to L1 on the relevant gangs.

The red is permanent line and goes into com ,together with the bridge wire to com of the other gang.
Each of the other conductors go to L1 on the relevant gangs.
Thanks for the info, is there a reason why it is currently wired to the existing dimmer the way it is with the red to the L2 and the wires with tape on them going into the Coms and the bridge wire going from L2 one side into the L1 on the other side.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, is there a reason why it is currently wired to the existing dimmer the way it is with the red to the L2 and the wires with tape on them going into the Coms and the bridge wire going from L2 one side into the L1 on the other side.
None whatsoever other than simplicity or perhaps the previous switch was a different layout.
Assuming your new dimmer is a push on-push off button it is unlikely to make a difference but if it fades down to nothing then clicks off it will be different, do you have wiring instructions with it? If so I'd suggest starting there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back