Wiring in a partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found some useful info in this forum, but just wanted to check that I've got this right:

If my wiring is in a 'safe zone' then it doesn't matter how close it is to the surface of the wall. Is this right?

I can lay wiring outside of the 'safe zones' so long as it is at least 50mm from the surface of the wall. Is this also right?

Or does it have to be in the safe zone and 50mm from the surface at all times?

Basically, I want to run the cable along the bottom plate, and if I use 100mm studs then the wire should be 50mm from the surface if I lay it in the centre. Is this allowed and/or advisable?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Paneleiro26 said:
I've found some useful info in this forum, but just wanted to check that I've got this right:

You can also put a cable where you like (outside safe zone at whatever depth) if its in Earthed metal conduit or is SWA

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

If my wiring is in a 'safe zone' then it doesn't matter how close it is to the surface of the wall. Is this right?
correct
Or does it have to be in the safe zone and 50mm from the surface at all times?
Safe zone any depth... Not in safe zone >50mm
Basically, I want to run the cable along the bottom plate, and if I use 100mm studs then the wire should be 50mm from the surface if I lay it in the centre. Is this allowed and/or advisable?
I suppose if yor plaster board is 12mm either side then in theory you have 24mm in the middle to lay your cable. if its 9mm then....Youve guessed it.
You can also put a cable where you like (outside safe zone at whatever depth) if its in Earthed metal conduit or is SWA

I find these safe zones rather pointless if no householders are aware that they exist. How many people check what's in line with what before they drill for shelves etc?

I agree. To be honest even though I consider myself to be a little DIY proficient, I didn't know about them until I did some research on the internet.

Thanks for your help RobFurn.

Sponsored Links
CallEdsFirst said:
I find these safe zones rather pointless if no householders are aware that they exist. How many people check what's in line with what before they drill for shelves etc?
Completely agree & that is why I won't use horizontal runs between sockets more than a couple of inches apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back