Wiring In Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a quick look back and searched to see if this has been mentioned before but not been able to find anything.

Have bought a Room Thermostat as CHS has not got one, have been told these are easy to fit and connect so am looking to do it myself.

I have opened up my boiler and I have 2 connections but 3 on the thermostat, Common, Heating Satisfied and Call for Heat.

Which do I need to connect and to what? I've looked at the wiring diagram and not able to get any clues from that.

Here is a link to the online manual Saunier Duval Therma Classic F 30 E In case people need to refer.

Sponsored Links
What make of thermostat have you got? Is it a mains voltage one? Makes a difference to the fitting.
Have you considered TRV`s- Thermostatic Radiator Valves? Much more efficient as you control the heat in each room. :) Does away with the need for a room thermostat- but still a load of hassle to fit. :(

I have bought a Drayton Digistat 3 and it is battery powered.

Just been looking up the data sheet for the programmer. The third wire threw me cos it`s similar to my Sunvic thermostat whch only has the two wires :confused: Anyway looks like you connect to terminals 1 and 3- common and call for heat.

Sponsored Links
I am a qualified plumber and have experience of wiring programmers, valves and stats etc, but I would not describe myself as a heating engineer.

After looking at the wiring diagrams, if your boiler is the 30E combi I think you need to remove the link from the

VOLTAGE FREE HEATING CONTROLS PLUG

Fit the room stat using the two terminals common and call for heat only.

Try connecting the stat. and test before you run any wire round the house.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Okey dokey thanks for that, after reading through a couple of others I came up with 1 and 2..... Guessing it won't matter which wire goes where as it is just acting as a switch.

Will try 1 and 3.

brumylad said:
I am a qualified plumber and have experience of wiring programmers, valves and stats etc, but I would not describe myself as a heating engineer.

After looking at the wiring diagrams, if your boiler is the 30E combi I think you need to remove the link from the

VOLTAGE FREE HEATING CONTROLS PLUG

Fit the room stat using the two terminals common and call for heat only.

Try connecting the stat. and test before you run any wire round the house.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Thanks for that seems I guessed wrong with 1 and 2, am doing the testing b4 running cable round house as not yet decided where to put it, have 10M of cable and not a very big house so can run it round each room and see which is the best, might even trade up to the RF3 but not sure I can justify the extra £100 for the sake of a bit of wire.

Well it all seems so simple if only you could undo the dam screws to remove the link from the voltage free heating control plug and connect the other wires! :evil:

Well got it all sorted in the end, decided to cut the link and put a new connector on. It seems to work with 1 and 3 connected.

Thank you for your help, just need to decide where to put the thing now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back