Wiring inline fan/timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Heres my wiring for my inline fan with timer - it's on a fused spur with a 3 pole isolator - I use a 3 core from fan to isolator and a 2 core from isolator to fuse. How do I deal with the Switched live between the isolator to the switch terminal? can I get a single core electric cable? - my other solution is to have the fuse before the junction box making the fan and light a fused circut - would that be ok?
fan wiring.jpg

Attachments

• fan wiring.jpg
    fan wiring.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
To connect as in the diagram, use 3 core between the junction box, fuse and isolator, just connect the 3rd core with a spare terminal in the back of the box, not connected to the fuse at all.
That does leave a switched line to the fan even if the fuse fails, which is not ideal.

my other solution is to have the fuse before the junction box
That is a better solution as it means the whole lot is fused, with the minor disadvantage that the lights won't work if the fuse fails.

I know instructions say 3 amp fuse, however although in the days when lights were supplied with a 5 amp fuse, that may have resulted in the 3 amp fuse rupturing before the 5 amp fuse, with MCB/RCBO protection it is unlikely a 3 amp fuse will rupture before a 6 amp MCB/RCBO trips, so when supplied from the lights it becomes rather pointless.

In the main the wiring in a fan is thinner than even a 1 amp fuse, so if fan stalled likely the fan will burn out before a fuse blows. So seems rather pointless including a fuse when supplied from lights.

If supplied from the ring final yes, a good idea to include a fuse, but then better if included in same device 1674740768523.png clearly marked for fan so everyone knows what the fuse is for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back