wiring inside fibreglass insulated walls/ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see I shouldn't route my wiring (especially the 10mm for the shower) inside insulation -I was planning to clip it inside a cavity wall with fibreglass insulation) -I've just had the loft insulated & they've put a carpet of thick fibreglass all over the wiring. Now this is common practice I know -does anyone want to comment?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Your right, cabling shouldnt be routed within insulation unless the cable/circuit has been designed using "correction factors". These factors take into account the fact that a cable of size x cannot carry as much current without overheating in insulation as apposed to being in free air. Obviously cooker/shower/socket cables are more at risk in general than lighting circuits.

The best idea for the diy'er is to avoid running cables in insulation. As for the people who have insulated your loft, they obviously do not appreciate these facts.

What a smart uh...boy am I! Better than setting fire to my house tho' -not to mention my hard work... does anone know how to calculate the correction factors -or it about right to just double the cable size? This is just for the lighting wire in a flat-roofed bathroom -it's freezing in there, so I'm keen to insulate.

[Edited by Quadroclops on 18-12-2002 at 4:12 AM GMT]

[Edited by Quadroclops on 18-12-2002 at 8:12 AM GMT]

Sponsored Links
I know it's a boring answer but if you really want to know try 'The electriciens guide to the IEE wiring regs' ISBN 0-9517362-9-9 by John Whitfield.

Doubling the cable size is probably overkill - 20mm cable for a shower? That's bigger than the main incomer in many older houses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back