Wiring Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Hope you can help

i am currently rewiring my house done all sockets now come to kitchen and im stuck,

i want above the worktops switches that are labelled oven, fridge,freezer,washer,dryer

however i am not sure how to wire it

do i just do it like im doing the sockets get power from socket to the box im puttin in with all the labels on and then from there to all the appliances ?

i have done a quick drawing below

thanks

924310B9-B999-4857-A2C4-7FA4C6D5D42D-7146-0000017829363BF6_zps6481e15e.jpg

Sponsored Links
sorry ignore the oven thats having its own wire straight to the consumer unit will be washer , dryer , fridge , freezer

thanks

You could have a 32A radial feeding that lot.

Or you cold have individual radials feeding individual appliances.

You could have a 32A radial feeding that lot.

Or you cold have individual radials feeding individual appliances.

thanks for the reply,

can i do it the way i have done it gettin power from the sockets ?

I would imageine the sockets are 13amp?

Sponsored Links
I agree re: radials for each / one radial. I might be tempted (loading dependant) to knock it down to a 20/25a radial though so you can stick to 2.5mm rather than going up to 4mm, but that's preference/loading dependant.

I think gridswitches are the way to go for switching above the counter.

Could go with 3 x FCU's but that would look pretty rubbish.

Also wouldn't bother fitting twin sockets, just singles will be fine, not like you can practically use them for other stuff.

Dear God I hope this is a wind-up.

If not, then jamie, please stop now before something dreadful happens, and get an electrician in to put right all of the mistakes you will have made, because trust me, I can 100% guarantee from the questions you are asking and the things you are saying that you have nowhere near enough knowledge to be rewiring a house.

Hi when I say I am doing it myself all I am doing is putting all the wiring in place and chopping out , I will then have an electrician come and check it all over and sign it off

Hi when I say I am doing it myself all I am doing is putting all the wiring in place and chopping out , I will then have an electrician come and check it all over and sign it off

Then employ this electrician to design the circuit for you.

Then employ this electrician to design the circuit for you.

I am trying to save money , which is why I've looked on the Internet how to do it then all the electrician has to do is come check it and certify it

But it'll cost you more if you do it wrong, and the electrician won't sign your work off.

You need to make sure he's happy with your proposals BEFORE you start the work.

But you need to ask HIM, not us, as it is HE who you'll be asking to sign it off.

There is no "all I'm doing", because that part of it requires you to know how to design circuits and to know how to install cables.

And you needed to ask him before you did a stroke of work. Not only are you legally required to appoint a 3rd-party certifier before you start, the problem with your approach is that you're only going to ask about the things you realise you need to know.

You can't carry out a job of this magnitude by asking whatever random questions happen to occur to you. You've already shown that you have some dodgy misconceptions - what if you get something wrong because you have no idea your knowledge is wrong? What if you miss something because you simply have no idea it even exists, and just don't realise you don't know it?

then all the electrician has to do is come check it and certify it
If the work you have done is 100% correct, then perhaps you might be lucky in finding such a person. Even if you do, it's still completely the wrong way to do things.
Rather more likely is that they will examine the work you have done and give you a large list of defects which have to be fixed. This might include removing cables or other items and installing them in the proper places.

All circuits must be fully tested before being connected to the supply, so unless you have no power in your house, it's already gone too far.

For the original question, that cannot be installed as a ring, and unless you want all of those items on a single 20A circuit, the cables will have to be inconveniently large.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back