Wiring lights in Parallel

andemz said:
Hi breezer, I've had a good look at it again and see your point, they really wouldn't make any use as you would still need to double up on the wires in the downlighter.
My guess is that what the guy in the shop meant was to have a JB adjacent to each light, wire the JBs up in parallel as above, and have a short length of cable from each JB to the adjacent downlighter.

Sponsored Links
look in the for refernce section there is a drawing there of lights in parallel

Sorry, new to this forum... how do I get to the reference section? I can't find it anywhere and want to see a diagram of how to wire up multiple downlights in parallel to replace an existing light fitting in my bathroom.

Thanks

when you clicked on 'electrics UK' at the top of the page are three topics, right at the top of the list of all the other posts!

I've wired up 3 35w clip-on lamps in this way too but the last one is flickering slightly. The lamps are just to provide some task lighting in the conservatory and the wiring is concealed behind a trim panel at the point the walls meet the roof.

Wired as follows:

3amp plug to an architrave switch which leads to a terminal block.
Out of the term block I take Live and Neutral to the first lamp and Live and Neutral continue on to the second term block where the process repeats until the last lamp which is connected to the Live and Neutral coming out of the second terminal block.

All the lamps are identical and were double insulated so there is NO earth wire in this setup. I've not used JB's as they won't fit into to the space where I'm concealing the wiring. The wiring is .75mm cable of the same type as was originally fitted to the lamps before I disassembled them.

The wiring is more or less the same as the diagram attached but I've added a switch at the feed end so all are on or off together.

Questions:

Will terminal blocks wrapped in insulation tape suffice for the setup?
Why is the last lamp flickering slightly? Poor wiring setup or dud bulb?

thanks in advance,
new666uk

Sponsored Links
Could be poor connection. A dud lamp would not light at all.

You say they are "clip-on". Does the clip form the electrical connection as well?

Ideally the connectors should be in an enclosure, not just wrapped in tape.

Can you take some pix?

thanks securespark.

The lamps are like a desk or shelf light as in the pic. All I did was cut the switch off and wire the stub of cable from there into the terminal block.

All the connections are at ceiling height tucked behind the plastic trim the lamps are clipped to.

The clips are plastic and behind the trim is a plastic 'gutter' so shouldn't be anything other than dust and spiders to worry about getting onto the connections.

I could possibly squeeze a small connector instead of terminals if I can find some small enough and need so be white to remain hidden (I have less than an inch of room behind there).

thanks
new666uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back