Wiring new SWA outdoor circuit

Yes, sorry ban, to be a bit clearer I will be using a third-party certifier to meet the needs of Part P where I have not used a registered electrician to do the installation. My phrasing isn't great. My building inspector has told me that all they will need at the end is the EICR or similar.
No - sorry - that still shows that you don't know what third-party certification is.

It is not "doing every single circuit now and getting a local company to provide test and inspection via an EICR".

If you are supposed to be using a third-party certifier, then you have to appoint them before you start the work, and you need to be liaising with them over every question you have about how do do the work.

Sponsored Links
No - sorry - that still shows that you don't know what third-party certification is.

It is not "doing every single circuit now and getting a local company to provide test and inspection via an EICR".

If you are supposed to be using a third-party certifier, then you have to appoint them before you start the work, and you need to be liaising with them over every question you have about how do do the work.
You are also required to have them inspect the job throughout - including during erection.

My apologies, once again I'm mis-interpreting what you're saying. I've already done this. I have been in contact with a local certifier who are happy to carry out the test and inspections. All I've done so far physically is site boxes and prepare my cable routing. When I mean doing every single circuit, they gave me the option of either testing the new installations only or tying that in with testing every circuit in the house. For the cost difference and the fact I've been in the house 3 years without any prior testing done to it, I'm opting to go down the route of them (re-)testing everything, even the parts I haven't been near.

And they are definitely a registered third-party certifier? They are very thin on the ground.

Sponsored Links
Yes, the company I work for and many others in the area use their services for testing and inspection, ranging from EICRs, PATs, Alarm systems, emergency light systems, etc. They cover all sorts including industrial, domestic, public and private buildings and are members of all the relevant organisations including NICEIC, CHAS, JTL, ECA to name a few. This is how I initially approached them a few weeks ago as their crew have been in my offices carrying out the testing of all the emergency lighting and fire alarm systems recently, so I enquired about what else they could do and was directed to their website and prompted to get in touch with them.

Yes, the company I work for and many others in the area use their services for testing and inspection, ranging from EICRs, PATs, Alarm systems, emergency light systems, etc.
Testing and inspection is not third-party certification.

NICEIC, CHAS, JTL, ECA
I do not believe that any of those operate a third-party certifier scheme. NICEIC certainly don't.

I enquired about what else they could do and was directed to their website and prompted to get in touch with them.
Does their website claim that they are registered third-party certifiers?

If it does, does it say via which organisation?

Just because you can't accept that a competent Electrician is the only correct answer to your problem doesn't alter the fact that it is the only correct answer.

You should adjust your attitude until you accept that this is the only correct answer.
Why has electrician have an upper case letter?

No - it is a common noun, it should only be capitalised if it's being used as a proper noun by being the title of a specific individual, e.g. Chief Electrician Jones.

"Apprentice" is also wrong.

Last edited:
No - it is a common noun, it should only be capitalised if it's being used as a proper noun by being the title of a specific individual, e.g. Chief Electrician Jones.

"Apprentice" is also wrong.
I am one of the world's greatest at spelling and grammar, however I will always give Apprentice-trained Electricians the capital letter they deserve. This is also bestowed upon them by the JIB. (They always capitalise it, and rightly so.)

I am one of the world's greatest at spelling and grammar,
Apparently not.

however I will always give Apprentice-trained Electricians the capital letter they deserve.
They don't.

This is also bestowed upon them by the JIB. (They always capitalise it, and rightly so.)
Just like you they are ignorant and incorrect.

Just like them you do not have the authority to change the accepted use of capital letters.

But then the lengths you will go to to refuse to admit you've made a mistake know no bounds, do they.

I haven't made a mistake. What you fail to understand is that I deliberately apply the use of a capital letter to the term "Electrician" and shall continue to do so. I am not alone in this approach.

Indeed you are not the only one who is wrong.

If you persist though it will not be because of ignorance, it will be because of a wilful decision to be wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back