Wiring New wall switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two ceiling lights in master bedroom (both are offset to room centre)

One is wired to a wall switch and the other is on pull switch above the bed; they appear to be on independant circuits.

We want to have only one light in centre of room which we can switch on from a wall switch by the bedroom door and to also install two wall switches either side of the bed so we can switch on and off when in bed.

Easiest way appears to remove the pull switch circuit completely and then relocate the existing ceiling rose which is connected to the existing wall switch.

How do I wire in two new wall switches with the existing wall switch so that the light can be operated on/off from any switch?

Sponsored Links
In removing the existing setup you will need to ensure the circuit remains complete, i.e. by using a junction box if accessable or you may need to replace or re route some of the cables. Can you upload some pics of the existing wiring?
For the other light:
You should have some wires in the back of the existing switch at the moment connected Com to L1.
To do what you want you will need 2 x 2way switches and 1 x intermediate.
The existing switch needs to be swopped to a 2 way, the existing switch wires going to L1 and L2. The "strapper" wires then interlink to the intermediate switch and then onto the other 2 way switch, as shown in these diagrams: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:intermediate#diagrams

Sorry cannot supply any pics, loft is boarded over so will have to start pulling that up when I begin

Anyhow, the link you sent is clear as to what to do and your text is clear

Replace current wall switch with 2 way switch

One bedside switch is the intermediate and the other bedide switch is a 2 way switch

BTW my current circuit does not appear to have any earth wire in it; do I have to buy 4 core cable and pull this through off exisitng wall switch or can I use 3 core and use the earth (suitably marked up) so as to connect L1 on intermediate to L2 on 2 way switch

Thanks for the help

How much of an exercise is it to replace the length of cable back to the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
Big job, would have to take up half the loft boards then come through airing cupboard, under bathroom floor and then down through kitchen wall and into stair cupboard for consumer unit.

Was thinking of trying to pull through new cables by attaching to the old ones

One is wired to a wall switch and the other is on pull switch above the bed; they appear to be on independant circuits.
Are you sure? Why would someone do that?

Replace current wall switch with 2 way switch

One bedside switch is the intermediate and the other bedide switch is a 2 way switch
Or replace the current one with an intermediate and have 2-ways by the bed, if that makes selection of the bedside switches easier. I did it that way because I wanted architrave switches each side of the bed, and I couldn't find intermediate ones.

BTW my current circuit does not appear to have any earth wire in it
Ideally rewire it, but until you do you must not use metal switches or light fittings which require an earth.

do I have to buy 4 core cable and pull this through off exisitng wall switch
You will need 3-core & earth cable.

or can I use 3 core and use the earth (suitably marked up) so as to connect L1 on intermediate to L2 on 2 way switch

notwu9.gif

Was thinking of trying to pull through new cables by attaching to the old ones
Hmmm. Unlikely. Are the existing cables in conduit?

What i mean is the pull switch operates one light and the wall switch operates the other light; they are probably connected back to same point at some place

Yes, I can use the intermediate on wall and 2 x 2 way by beds (better idea)

Rewire; would mean running a new cable all the way back to consumer unit, does that mean I will then have to re-wire all the upstairs lights with new cable

OK, bad idea, 3 core and earth it is

Some of wiring is in conduit

What i mean is the pull switch operates one light and the wall switch operates the other light; they are probably connected back to same point at some place
OK - if it's wired with loop-in at the ceiling rose/fitting then removing a switch is easy.

Rewire; would mean running a new cable all the way back to consumer unit, does that mean I will then have to re-wire all the upstairs lights with new cable
If you want to use metal switches, or lights that need an earth, yes.

And the same will apply to downstairs.

Some of wiring is in conduit
You might be able to pull new wires through with the old, or they might come apart or get stuck part way through the process and leave you with no lights.

BUT - before you start doing things like that... it's been a long time since lighting circuits had to have an earth. If your wiring is that old you might need the whole lot replacing - you should have it all properly inspected...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back