Wiring on Light Switch. Connect two wires?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the picture below I have two active and perfectly functioning switches. I also have extra wires from an exterior motion sensor light which I want to be on permanently (no on/off switch, just on all the time). I am ignoring the bulk of the wires as these are for interior lights and are functioning fine and concentrating on wires A, B, C and D.

Wires B and D (the black ones) are connected together in the small junction box (E). Wires A and C were going in to an extra toggle switch making the light switch on and off, however I want them connected permanently.

If I connect these two red wires in the same way as the black ones (in a small junction box) I presume this will just complete the circuit and the light will be permanently on? Or will I blow myself up? An alternative would be to fit a 3 gang switch panel and have a switch for the exterior light but I want to avoid this if possible.

Many thanks for your advice.

Ross.

Sponsored Links
Yes. But then you have no convenient means of isolation.

I would fit a key switch, but it appears you have sh I mean very many conductors populating that enclosure.

Then you can isolate it but not inadvertantly.

Sponsored Links
As for your qeury -

B & D will be the Neutral return.

Of A & C, one will be the live feed and one will go to the light - can't tell which.

So, yes connecting them together will power the light permanently.

However, it is not really wise or acceptable to have a light fitting, or anything else, which cannot be switched off.
It would not take much to fit another or larger switch.

Great, thanks for the replies.

As to EFLImpudence's reply, this answers my query perfectly. The 2 gang plate I have bought was very expensive and I can't return it now as it was bought such a while ago. I guess I'm cutting corners by not buying a 3 gang plate and refitting. Is it dangerous to wire as suggested? Or just inconvenient? As the light in question is a motion sensor security light, I don't see when I would need to switch it off.

Thanks again.

As the light in question is a motion sensor security light, I don't see when I would need to switch it off.
When the lamp needs to be replaced
When the sensor fails and the light remains on all the time
For those types which have a manual override feature where switching the light on/off/on means it will remain on until you switch it off.
For those same types where a power failure or fluctuation can mean the override function is activated when you don't want it to be.

Ultimately, wiring it to be on all the time is not dangerous, but is most certainly will be inconvenient and it's a shoddy thing to do.

Three reasons for being able to turn it off

[1] if it becomes faulty and stays on day and night

[2] if it becomes faulty and causes the MCB or RCD to trip meaning other lights cannot be used.

[3] it becomes damaged and exposed live parts present a possibly lethal hazard

It is always a good idea to use a double pole switch to fully isolate outside lights for these three reasons.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back