Wiring Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I brought an outside light the other day and am looking to install it this weekend. I was reading the instructions last night and the first thing it said was not to wire into the lighting circuit but to use a fused spur switched socket. I live in a new build property and there is a box outside that looks as though is is attached to a light switch in the hall way.

My question, is there any reason why I cant wire this into the lighting circuit, as it would seem crazy that the builders would run a wire outside that you could use for a outside light. Maybe the fused spur scenario is just the prefered option.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Most light switches don't provide a neutral which your light will need. If the builders have already preempted this then it should be alright providing you are not going to exceed the load with an excessive size bulb.

The other point about having a FCU is that you can easily isolate it by pulling out the fuse for maintenance purposes.

No reason you can't put an outside light on the lighting circuit.

There are a couple of things to be aware of though.
1: outdoor equipment requires a max 0.4sec disconnect time. This shouldn't be an issue if you have MCBs and the circuit is otherwise compliant.
2: Some outside lights are quite high power, you need to check that your plans will not overload the lighting circuit.

Thanks plugwash, it is a new build so hope electrics would be up to scratch and as mentioned below it is only one energy efficent bulb.

Why would the instructions say not to wire it into the lighting circuit though?

The light that I brought is only one bulb energy efficient so it shouldnt take that much power.

As in previous thread it is a new build and the light switch is inside by the door and they have a round box on the wall outside by the door which I assume is ready to attach the light. I am sure other houses have already fixed lights and they must be wired the same.

Is it not the same as an internal light?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
If it is possible have the outside lights on their own circuit or via FCU from a RCD protected non critical socket.

Reason. Recent incident where vandals smashed an external light causing live and neutral to short thus taking out the lighting MCB leaving the elderly couple in darkness.

Thanks for the reply bernardgreen, if it is not possible, I assume it will still work fine running off the lighting circuit.

Thanks.

it does sound like the builders have made provision for an outside light.

The give away would be a switch that apparently does nothing and a couple of wire plus earth in the box outside.

Yes exactly what I thought,

I take it says not to wire it into the lighting circuit in the intructions only as it is preferable to have it on its own circuit but it wont cause any problems if I do?

I wouldn't bother too much about the instructions, they are probablly written by foriegners who have only a vauge idea of british wiring practice and regulations.

What is the type and rating of the bulb?

Thanks,

The bulb is a compact fluorest 11w ES cap

Should that be ok?

The bulb is a compact fluorest 11w ES cap

is this ok?

not really. many cfl's can't be used in an enclosed fitting, i.e sealed light.
also an outside light might not be used for very long, on 20min later, off. both combined will decrese the life of the bulb and not make it worth it. a 40w indcasent will do the job, and wont suffer these effects. check the max rating of the auctual fitting to see what it can take (100w max go 4 60w or 60w max go 40w)

Hi there,

I brought an outside light the other day and am looking to install it this weekend. I was reading the instructions last night and the first thing it said was not to wire into the lighting circuit but to use a fused spur switched socket. I live in a new build property and there is a box outside that looks as though is is attached to a light switch in the hall way.

My question, is there any reason why I cant wire this into the lighting circuit, as it would seem crazy that the builders would run a wire outside that you could use for a outside light. Maybe the fused spur scenario is just the prefered option.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
quite possibly the instructions were for the noddys that think its ok to have a pir floodlight with no switching/isolation,or for the people that whack the feed straight off the ring main.
i too live in a new build(fed up of coming home from a site just to sit in another one)!

point is they do need finishing and this is how i found the outside light feed to the rear of the property.good electrics in here but why did they terminate it into a jb!

already had two neighbours round saying "whenever it rains my lights go off)they were up in the loft looking for leaky roofs.
im sure its just a case of them trying to save a few quid.bell it out to be sure but i dont think im wrong mate

The light fitting is an energy saving fitting so I just brought the bulb 11w equilevent to 60w to go with it. When you say it cant be used what would happen.

Thanks

Yeah it does look like they have terminated to a junction.

Before I read the intructions I didnt even think there would be a problem so sure it will be ok from the response from the post.

When you say bell it out what do you mean.

thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back