Wiring oven, hob and extractor hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I go about wiring in the above? My cooker point has a switched plug point along side the cooker switch and a spur has been taken from this, providing a double plug point to where we run the washing machine. Can I wire all 3 into these sockets without overloading???

Please advise. :confused:

Paul

Sponsored Links
I hope you are not saying the socket next to the cooker point is a spur off the cooker point, if you are it is very dangerous, and could cause a fire (since it will probably be a 2.5 mm cable connectet to a 6mm cable with a 45A fuse)

back to your question.

NO

breezer said:
I hope you are not saying the socket next to the cooker point is a spur off the cooker point, if you are it is very dangerous, and could cause a fire (since it will probably be a 2.5 mm cable connectet to a 6mm cable with a 45A fuse)

back to your question.

NO

Breezer...unless the spur socket is overloaded it is hardly a fire risk..it isn't a good idea and certainly should not be done without running via a switched fused spur, but is hardly a fire risk.

the double socket was ther when we bought the house , however it does look like 6mm cabe has been used! What should I do as I want to get this done over the w/e.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP! :(

Paul

Sponsored Links
is this a single oven or a double oven?

id advise converting the existing cooker cuircuit to a radial socket cuircuit by replaceing the ccu with a double socket and if the oven is less than 3KW plug it in here

then i would run a new seperate cuircuit for the hob and possiblly the oven

if I run the hob to the cooker switch alone (as it has the highest wattage) can i run the cooker hood and oven into the plug next to the cooker switch even thogh a spur has been run of of this. Im not vry good am I :oops:

Paul

you shouldn't really be spuring off a cooker cuircuit at all

what is the rating of the different parts?

The oven is 3.05 kW (Energy Class B)
The hob is 1.5 kW
The Extractor hood is 140w

My cooker point has a seperate plug socket on it and is spured to a double plug socket from this. My neighbour says the houses were built this way.

However if I need to change things I will due to safety and the MISSUS! :LOL:

Paul

1.5KW sounds might small for a hob are you sure that figure is right?

as all that kit is less than 3KW per item (well the oven is slightly over but the amount is trivial) you should lose the cooker control unit and connect everything via fused connection units or sockets to the 6mm cable

hob is 5.5Kw. Ive wired the hob into a new cooker point with plug point using existing cable. Works fine. Now can I run a spur off of this to run my oven & washing machine? If not how do I go about that. I take it I can run a spur off an existing plug point to run my extractor hood?

Appreciate the help.

how many spurs can you run of an existing double socket as I only have one in my kitchen?

Paul (leccy - not) :oops:

Paul, here is one way you could do what you want.

cooker_layout.JPG

Thanks ! I would love to but a bit too advanced for me I think!! So far i've connected my hob to a new cooker switch and run a 13amp fused box from that. From this I've connected my oven. What cable should I use for all of thisn and can I spur of this fused box to create a socket for my washing machine! Oh and my hood? Oh **** thought I was gonna get this done over w/e another take away!!! :rolleyes:

Paul

Jim, forgive me for sounding thick, but why is the outgoing oven feed in 6 when incoming is 4?

And with a potential of 9k's running on the oven circuit (oven, wm + socket), shouldn't the cable and breaker be bigger?

Or haven't I woken up yet?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back