Wiring Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently completed some electrical work at home, which involved moving (about 10m with suitable 80A isolator) and renewing the consumer unit. This is all complete, passed all tests and i labc have checked the work.

I have a few problems,

1 The installation seams to be using alot more power, the bills are higher than before, only really added mains smoke detectors and a small amount of outside lighting, but i have split some circuits up that were just on the socket circuit i.e. alarm system, home office radial, garage ring etc

2 Also maybe linked to the above problem but when i plug in a kettle or vac the lights flicker very slightly.

Alyone have any ideas on what the cause could be?

Cheers,

Adam

Sponsored Links
Thats what is confusing,

every circuit got excellent readings for loop impedance and insulation, polarity is also correct on every outlet.

So dont understand what could be wrong, not come accross this before other than in older houses with a very small outdated incoming supply.

Have you double checked the tightness of the neutral connections in the CU and the isolator?

Sponsored Links
What about the R1+R2 readings?

Are all the connections nice and tight, including into any external isolators, henley blocks, main switches, busbars, neutral rails, MCBs, accesories, junction boxes etc?

Does anything including the meter, cutout, CU etc get warm while the flickering takes plase?

Can you hear any crackling noises anywhere in the house?

<edit> Grrrr BAS :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back