Wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you can help.
I took down an old ceiling light so that the ceiling could be replastered. A week later, on going to put up a new light, i've realised the old light fitting was just connected to two black wires from the internal wiring.
So how do i know which one is live and which one is neutral? (i expected one red and one black).
Sorry if my question seems stupid to the experts but i'm just learning.

Sponsored Links
What kind of lamps go into your light fitting?

Certain types can mean its not important which way round they go.

With GU10 lamps it won't matter which is live or neutral, so connect them either way.

However does the light fitting require an earth connection? If it does, and your wiring has no earth, you cannot use it.

Sponsored Links
Does the fitting require an earth connection?
(should be able to see if there is an earth terminal, or see instructions)
if so, is there an earth wire hanging out of your ceiling?

thanks, was hoping you would say that.
yes, it requires earth and there is indeed an earth cable coming out of the ceiling so that's no problem.
can i just check - the earth cable contains 2 cores, it's ok to connect both cores to the earth terminal of the light fitting isn't it?

'earth cable' containing 2 cores?

Do you really mean that or do you have 2 single core wires ( both g/y) ?

'earth cable' containing 2 cores?

Do you really mean that or do you have 2 single core wires ( both g/y) ?

If the OP has two black cores coming to the fitting, then it's probably two lengths of black single and earth, with both CPCs down one sleeve. If that is indeed the case, it's fine for them both to be connected together in one terminal.

the earth cable coming down from the ceiling with a green plastic sleeve has 2 wires inside it. that's what i meant by earth with 2 cores. it's seperate from the black wires nearby.

Yeah, sounds like 2 cpc's, sorry earth's, are put into one sleeving. Make sure when you connect them into the light that BOTH the conductors are securely connected to the earth terminal.

Yeah, sounds like 2 cpc's, sorry earth's, are put into one sleeving. Make sure when you connect them into the light that BOTH the conductors are securely connected to the earth terminal.

you might want to rephrase that.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back