Wiring Room Thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new digital room thermostat to replace the old one that was in my hall. The new one (Drayton Digistat 1) says that it replaces most standard room thermostats but I'm having problems with the wiring.

The wiring schematic for the new thermostat has -

1. Common
2. Heating satisfied
3. Call for heat

It also says that if the old thermostat used a neutral and/or earth supply, these should not be connected and should be safely isolated. The old one did have live, neutral and earth connected. Does this mean I should only connect the live wire? If so does anyone know where I should connect it (common, heating satisfied or call for heat)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
how many wires are there when you take the old room stat off? (including earth) and what colours are they.?

some room stats do require a neutral, live and switched live and earth, making 4 wires in total, but most will work with only 3, live, switched live and earth.

I should say your new stat only requires two. you should isolate the earth wire (green sleaving and choc block) ONLY IF YOUR NEW STAT HAS NO EARTH TERMINAL

then connect the red wire to common and the black wire to 3 (call for heat)

that should work if not (unlikely) put the black wire on 2 (heating satisfied) instead of 3

There were three wires (brown, blue and green/yellow) but it says that the earth and neutral should not be used.

that's fine , but i bet the blue is a switched live not a neutral.

in that case

then connect the brown wire to common and the blue wire to 3 (call for heat)

that should work if not (unlikely) put the blue wire on 2 (heating satisfied) instead of 3

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have just bought a Digistat 2 to replace my old one.

But the wiring is puzzling me.

On my old one I have 4 wires.

Red - Live
Blue - Neutral
Yellow - Currently connected to 3 (Demand)
Earth

The new one has

1 - Which should be Live

3 - Which Says demand?

What wire do I need to connect to 2?? Satisfied. Neutral blue or The Yellow - Demand.

I know I don't need the earth as the instructions state this. But it also states the Neutral is not needed either?

But I now have no idea what to do with the Neutral. Does it operate with just 2 wires??

Please kindly advise.

Thanks

"old style" room stats require a neutral for the internal heater, but as you have a digital room stat as you said it is not required. (neither is the earth)

that leaves you with 2 wires

you want 1 & 3

I did try that earleir but it did'nt seem to be working properly.

My last thermostat was a Drayton RTS1.

ON THE BOX THERE IS A CONVERSION CHART AND IT STATES THAT THERE SHOULD BE A WIRE IN 2??

Any thoughts

Thanks

when you say "I did try that earleir but it did'nt seem to be working properly."

what did happen?

and it depends on your boiler, try 1 & 2

Well when I tried to increase the temp the bolier did'nt kick in. When I put my old one back on it did.

Should I try 1 and 2. What is Satisfied??

please note forum rule 20

I could not split your post and have it still make sense :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back