Wiring Strip LED Lights around Bathroom Cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to wire waterproof strip led lights around the outside of a bathroom cabinet.

There are 2 choices. One would be to take a fused spur or connect via a junction box into the bathroom extractor in the ceiling just above the cabinet.

The second would be to have a fused spur connected to the wiring that supplies the shaver outlet on the wall at the side of the cabinet.

Ideally I would like to control the LED cabinet lighting independently of the ceiling/extractor wiring. I would prefer a switch rather than a cord pull.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
How are they powered? Many have a wall wart or transformer.

The strip can be powered by a transformer of choice. I propose an IP67 waterproof transformer.

Whatever you do, in a bathroom, it will need to be designed and certified for use in the bathroom zone that it will be installed in (is it??)

and

ANY circuit in thebathroom must be protected by a 30mA RCD (is it??)

Sponsored Links
The LED strip is for outdoor use and is waterproof.

The proposed transformer is IP67 rated.

It is a relatively modern property but the existing lighting circuit in the bathroom and the shaver unit on the lighting circuit is not part of the RCD.

Bathroom extractor link sounds most sensible with an RCBO in the CU to protect the whole circuit. There should be an isolator for the fan, so maybe that could be used as a JB.

The proposed transformer is IP67 rated.
Maybe, that's not important. Is it a SELV transformer?

You see, transformers for use outdoors are designed for use, well, outdoors.
The fact that it is waterproof etc does not necessarily make it suitable for use to bring electricity into a bathroom, and that close to your wet hands.

Thanks for your reply.

Both items are advertised as being suitable for use in a bathroom. I can, and will however, investigate this further.

The transformer can be located adjacent to the ceiling extractor or at the top of the bathroom cabinet which is zone 3. The section of the LED strip along the top of the bathroom cabinet would also be in zone 3. Down either side of the cabinet the strip would pass into zone 2.

If the transformer was connected to the shaver outlet it would still be in zone 3, but then how do I control it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back