Connection of kitchen cabinet lights and cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently replaced my kitchen cabinets and the wall mounted ones had an under cabinet halogen strip light wired directly from a spur, no local isolation such as FCU. I have now found out that it is fed from the ground floor lighting circuit (as is the combi boiler and a 40W extractor fan built into the window glass).

I have purchased new LED under cabinet strips to replace. I would like to improve the wiring that was there before and I think a FCU would be a good idea. I could also wire in the new cooker hood (has fan + LED light, ~80W total) to this same FCU also. Alternatively I could take the feed from the wall into a junction box then run into two FCUs, one for the under cabinet lights and one for the cooker hood, a 1A fuse in each FCU would be sufficent. Incidentally the old cooker hood was just plugged in to a socket which I did not like.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If it comes off the lighting circuit you don't need an FCU. it is quite a good idea to have an isolator, so a switched FCU will do that. The fuse in it is unlikely to be any use.

If you are supplying it from a socket circuit, you need an FCU, with a 5A or 3A fuse.

It is not up me to prove otherwise. It is up to you to prove your allegations.

Sponsored Links
It is not up me to prove otherwise. It is up to you to prove your allegations.
Just read some of your posts!!

Dear reader, note that many of Winston’s wrong or misleading replies have been removed by the forum moderator. So, he may seem to be less wrong than he actually is.

Falsifying quotes is not permitted

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that unless he proves otherwise Winston1 is almost certainly a DIYer with strongly held but often erroneous opinions.
But he does claim to be a member of IET. Which rather surprises me as he constantly tells us their publications are wrong.

Back to the subject of the thread, we all like to make the kitchen look good, and I have to admit my under counter lights are a bit OTT.
20220626_085339.jpg

I fitted colour changing lights, god knows why, as can't access the counter anyway. I hope you have more luck than me.

But same lights in another location shows what they can do,
20220704_220311_1.jpg

But what you do is up to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back