Under cabinet kitchen lighting

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi

I want to upgrade my old fluorescent tube under cabinet lighting to new led ones wired to the mains.

These are switched on when the cooker hood is switches on.

Anyone on here done this and what led lighting did you use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I replaced mine with this kit.

IMG_5486.jpeg

You will need to fit a socket, powered from your cooker hood to plug the power unit into.

I have surplus sockets on the wall under cabinets but wanted to have the mains wired as I already have 2 of the florescent tube one in place.

Thanks and might be an idea if can't get mains wired first.

fluorescent tube
How long is your current florescent tube(s)?

Asking as you could replace them with a 'led batten' light of same length as these all likely use the similar 'bare wire' wiring I am presuming you have if the wire is coming from the extraction fan.

Might help if you show us the wiring you currently have.
Sfk

Sponsored Links
Suggest this one IGNORE AS NO LONGER FOR SALE !

There is also a pdf manual so you can see if you are happy to do the wiring.

Only issue I can see is whether or not your wire is quite long enough to get into this light. It might be just slightly short, so see if any slack (sometimes a bit of slack left behind cabinet or in fan).
Sfk

Last edited:
I did right side first, used a LED batten lamp with built in switch, DSC_5230.jpg then we I came to do other side of cooker, used a Smart LED Light Strip from Lidi, needed a socket adding under the cupboards to plug it in, and used large knock in clips rather than the sticky backing, and took the 2 meter length around in a circle. At full brightness a little too bright (22 watt) DSC_5238.jpg but can set it at what brightness I want, also change colour if I want, but because they can be turned on with a voice command (Using my Nest Mini's) they are actually used, where the switched on other side rarely used.

I got two Lidi units the other went in the display cabinet in the living room, 5 Ikea billy bookcases, it lights the centre one floor to ceiling, but Lidi did not seem to do them again, so used TCP from screwfix, these are 5 meters long, and either side of centre the display bit is top bit only, so one strip did two units.
The Lidi ones were far more robust, but the TCP were easier to get around corners, not quite as bright 18 watt, great in the display cabinet, but not sure about cleaning if fitted in a kitchen. Again they needed sockets to plug into. 20220704_220311_1.jpg

I find we use smart lights, but lights where we need to select if turned on or not with a switch, either they get turned on then not turned off, or never used, specially kitchen when hands covered in food, you don't want to use hands to turn on lights, so voice commands work well.

I will turn on cooker hood light, usually as can't remember which switch is lights and which is fan so turn it on in error. As to colours, looks pretty, but not really functional, for the display cabinet great, but not really needed in kitchen.

I used linkable LED "tubes", eg:

They are pretty generic and assume they are much of a muchness. Cooker hood was the nearest power source, did require drilling some holes in the hood where it meets the cabinets either side, but it's all hidden away and means the cooker hood light button controls the cabinet lights, which is exactly what we wanted.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Can these be wired to mains Murdocchat?
Those suggested by @Murdochcat are mains and can be connected to mains (220 -240V).
Note that they are not hard wired in - they do not have internal screw down connectors for a bare wire.
You have to connect it with a 'figure of 8 connector' that are also avalible from the same shop.

You could wire the 'figure of 8 connector wire' to the end of your mains wire using a suitable juction box and this will ensure you have a long enough wire.

SFK

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back