Wiring system for prefabricated garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi our garage is one of these concrete prefabricated garages therefore it's impossible to clip cables direct. I have used metal clad sockets because it's a garage I thought be more appropriate. I thought I'll use conduit but steel coduit is expensive. Can I use PVC instead but then it looks crap. What are my options?

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with PVC conduit and metal clad sockets. It is pretty much the norm in most commercial installs these days.

Can I use PVC instead but then it looks crap.
blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

But steel conduit isn't that expensive - after all, it's not Nick Mason's garage, is it? How much can you need?

Sponsored Links
Hi our garage is one of these concrete prefabricated garages therefore it's impossible to clip cables direct. I have used metal clad sockets because it's a garage I thought be more appropriate. I thought I'll use conduit but steel coduit is expensive. Can I use PVC instead but then it looks crap. What are my options?
Even conduit would need fixings to the wall. There are adhesives around which would enable you to attach fixes (for either cable or conduit) to concrete. How have you attached the sockets? Even the better types of self-adhesive cable attachments don't do too badly on concrete, even in damp conditions (I have a few in my garage).

Kind Regards, John

Hi our garage is one of these concrete prefabricated garages therefore it's impossible to clip cables direct. ?

A decent SDS and sharp masonry drills work for me!
Throw away that Aldi hammer drill/driver and get something decent.

And, FFS, its only a concrete garage. They start off in life looking crap so no amount of pyro or steel conduit is going to improve the aesthetics.

IMO PVC conduit will be fine.

Hi our garage is one of these concrete prefabricated garages therefore it's impossible to clip cables direct. ?
A decent SDS and sharp masonry drills work for me!
In principle, I agree (as I asked, how has he attached the sockets?), but it does depend on exactly what he's got. I can easily get through the (very hard) wall of my garage with an SDS drill, but the wall is so thin that it's virtually impossible to get a useful depth of hole without going right through (and 'blowing' the outer surface).

Kind Regards, John

I drilled my garage on the thick bits of the concrete. You can go about an inch deep which gives you a plenty good enough fixing without drilling right through the concrete.

DSCN0529.jpg

I drilled my garage on the thick bits of the concrete. You can go about an inch deep which gives you a plenty good enough fixing without drilling right through the concrete.
Fair enough - but I'm not sure I'd get as much as one inch in many places in mine. Nevertheless, I've certainly managed to attach things to it!

Kind Regards, John

I've not heard mention of dexion for a good few years!

A piece of ply works well to attatch the sockets to, and if you use steel conduit for the drops, you can get away with fewer fixings than if you use PVC tube.

I've attached the metal clad back boxes the usual drill and plug way. My dad's Makita seems to be good at drilling the walls. But the 100 quid+ portable dewalt didn't do too well. I find I do need a cored drill to drill through brick /concrete more easily.

I've decided I'll use PVC conduit then distance saddle them to the thick bits of concrete. Just prey I have enough 4mm left for the 2 radials and doesn't get stuck in the conduit. I shall have fun fixing to the wall tomorrow. I didn't get round to it today.

DSCN0529.jpg

i want you to wire my house! Everything you post is wiring pr0n

i want you to wire my house! Everything you post is wiring pr0n
But could you afford it ?
My first thought is along the lines of ... MK, metalclad, someone's got spare cash (or had before buying that !).

EDIT: But me being picky, the second thing I noticed was the Quick-connect mounted sideways and it's cable coiled up and stuffed in a gap :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back