Wiring to a Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Shed is at bottom of garden
Want to run power to it
Was planning on digging trench and putting wire in white plastic tube then burying it.
Is there a set depth I should bury it?
Was going to put a small consumer unit on the end in the shed
Was going to use standard 15A cable for the run.

Anything ive said wrong?

Thanks all

chris

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris,

I would say that armoured cable is the way to go here, along with cable warning tape (covers) and at a depth so that it is not going to be damaged by 'any foreseeable disturbance of the ground'.
Depending on the protective device and installation method you use, this may be of some use
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html

What you plan to 'use' (electrically) in the shed ??.

Cheers,

Ed.

Quite a lot not right here

Hi, Shed is at bottom of garden
Want to run power to it
Was planning on digging trench and putting wire in white plastic tube then burying it.
No you don't, per the above, armored cable is required

Is there a set depth I should bury it?
Yes, depends on the route. If under flower beds/lawn then recommended depth is 450mm. Cable thewn needs to be bedded on sand, caver 1/3rd depth with soil, then warning tape, then finish the fill

Was going to put a small consumer unit on the end in the shed
Well yes, thats the usual way to do it. Will the CU include an RCD? What value breakers will you have in it, what will you be powering in the shed, what is the characteristics of your supply? Are there any services (like water) in your shed? Where will you feed it from in the house (spur from a ring, direct from a new fuse in the fueboard???)

Was going to use standard 15A cable for the run.
There's no such thing. the cable carrying characteristic of a cable is determined by many factors. The csa of the conductor is one issue, how it is run, environment etc have a bearing it. Also you need to work out the voltage drop. All of this will determine the size of cable for your appplication.

And as stated above, this is notifiable work. from your questions i would strongly suggest you get a spark in, most will let you do the donkey work & he can do teh technical bit and sign it off and notifiy the local authority.

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
thanks for advice and help

Power is for a lightbulb, maybe a plug for lawnmower.
Not tools or anything serious, Just wana be able to put my bike away when its dark

The run is a straight line from house to shed parallel to fence under grass lawn.

Will have RCD
Will run as spur from ring main in kitchen not from fuse board direct.
No other services are near by or in the way

Will use armoured cable now, in a 450mm trench, bedded on sand with warning tape.

Thanks for part P advice.

Cheers

chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back