Wiring to Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, would gratefully welcome some advice please. Garage currently has wiring to it from its own separate 16A fuse on the house CU with RCD. There is only approx 3 feet of cable actually outside - currently running along the top of a convenient trellis- before entering the garage. Once entering the garage the wiring is exotic to say the least. Wiring needs to supply 1 double socket (for light use, radio) and 2 lights. So, to replace all of this is it still ok to run non-SWA to the garage and run it through suitably protective trunking for the 3 foot that it is actually outside (asking this as ironically to bury cable would increase length of cable considerably and cause much more work) and once in the actual garage is a small CU absolutely necessary or may I use a FCU for the socket and one for the lights. I appreciate that this means if the main CU RCD or fuse flicks that it is a little journey back into the house to re-set but that is of no concern. The purely aesthetic look of the thing again is not important (ie small CU vs FCU's). Much obliged

Sponsored Links
The cable should be properly supported, and a bit of trellis won't do it - too flimsy, too easily dislodged by winds etc.

Does the cable go through the walls at the height where it crosses the gap? Could you have a length of conduit running between holes in the walls?

As for a CU in the garage - a bit pointless for a 16A circuit, and you don't need an FCU for the sockets, only the light, so use a switched one as the light switch.

Hi there, many thanks for that - yes, cable comes out of house/into garage at same height as trellis and could definitely use a bit of conduit to run between the 2. Appreciate your comment about rickety trellis, that will be sorted, and re FCU's - sounds much simpler solution that buried cable/extra CU.

Would there be room inside the garage to manœuvre a length of conduit through the wall, across the gap, and into a hole in the house wall? i.e. enlarge the one in the garage wall and partially enlarge the one in the house, so supporting the conduit at both ends.

Buy a length of galvanised steel conduit - it'll be self supporting if the ends are in brick/block.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I'm absolutely sure that there is room in the garage to wriggle a piece of conduit through to have a self supporting piece between garage and house - thank you for the tips

Getting in a right pickle over this, would appreciate some advice please. I've boobed by putting 2 cables through 20mm conduit so sorting that. Conduit runs between house and garage at a height of just over 1.9m - is this a complete cock-up? - struggling through regs but is it right that this should be at a height of 3m? Thank you,

There is no specific height in the regulations.

If you are confident that your risk assessment says that it won't get damaged at 1.9m then you may put it at 1.9m.

But that's easily into head-banging range for many people these days....

Hey! The wiring passed the Building Control inspection so thank you again for your advice re the above bit of work. Considering that I am more competent than qualified (although that's not saying much, and I just LOVE the discussion about that little subject!) I was complimented on the neatness of the job. Ok, by electricians standards not a big job at all but a nice feeling to get a tiny pat on the back. Your advice much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back