Wiring upgrade scenario

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just about to complete a purchase of a late 80's build detached house and we are doing standard upgrades etc (replacement bathroom, kitchen & new flooring). Historically I have always done any electrical work in previous properties including new rings, replacement CU and replacing some truly horrific wiring (e.g. running cooker of a spur which was wired using 1.5m T&E!) I have a good knowledge of current Regs. (just had a re-read) but this is the first job I am looking at since part P was implemented. I am aware that I should not be doing any work other than the most basic work in non special areas, but I do have a scenario I would like to put forward to the experts in this forum:

A little more history:
The property seems unchanged from build, and all wiring, CU etc seems to be in good condition for age (this has been confirmed by RICS Homebuyers survey – I know these are not as comprehensive as a full Electrical survey, but this place seems to have been in a time warp since 1988 (not even a paint brush has crossed the threshold!))

Whilst we are doing all the alterations I would like to add a few extra bits and pieces and upgrade a couple of others:
1) There is currently a dedicated radial for the Cooker (happy about as last two properties did not have)
2) The rest of the kitchen runs off one ring. We will be adding a dishwasher and tumble drier to the existing configuration of Fridge, Freezer, washing machine etc. So I would like to add another ring to supply Dishwasher, Tumble & Washing machine to alleviate the ever-increasing load on the standard kitchen sockets (3KW kettles, 1.2Kw Microwave/oven/quartz grill combos etc)
3) As many of the floors will be lifted at different times I am also wanting to run a mains & linked smoke& Fire detection system (own radial circuit), another to supply a burglar alarm and a final one to supply some security lights. So i would like to do as much of the leg work as possible as it fits in around the other jobs.
4) This will require the installation of a larger/additional Split load CU

I am fully capable of calculating cable sizes based on load, length, where & how they are run etc (I am an electronic engineer)

So based on the above scenario would qualified electricians (QE) be willing to confirm my designs, pop back to check first fix & then pop back to inspect, test & issue certificates? Would there be much cost advantage? Or is it a case that I can do first fix, then get a QE in to do final fix & testing? Or would you guys prefer that I did all opening up, chasing, sinking etc and then you come in and do all the wiring bits?

Any advice much appreciated & if anyone is/can recommend a QE in the Christchurch/Bournemouth area please let me know.

Sponsored Links
What i've read is that you can do all the work yourself you sound like a competent person to me, and then get LBC to check the work. This will be cheaper than getting a sparky in and you know it's up to standard.

Thanks for your comments HighTowerMark, I was looking at going down this route, but from what I have read, the local building inspector is outsourcing tests to QE and they are charging a fee in the region of £600 for the privilege!

Does anyone know what I should expect to pay?

You won't get a registered spark to certify your work. That's not what they are registered to do.

Best bet if you don't want to involve LABC is to do the dirty work yourself and pay a registered spark to complete and test the installation. (You probably won't save a lot, by the way, the dirty bit is also the cheapest!)

Get a few quotes before you start and agree exactly who will do what.

Sponsored Links
Ding's right, but you may find a spark who will inspect after first fix and return to do second and test, this no more than getting the apprentice to install the cables and boxes. As long as the cables can be inspected before plastering than can see the problem.

Thanks for your responses, I have to notify LABC regarding some other (non electrical) matters, so I am still looking at that as a possible route to take - does anyone have any experience of dealing with them on the electrical front - charges etc?

Many thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back