Wiring without conduit? Good or Bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Had a contractor in to do some work. Take down wall, move radiators, new sockets for kitchen coming in etc. I've ended up having to take down some of the plaster board that had perrished and have noticed that he has not used conduit for about 90% of the wiring. The wall was solid brick with drylining on top. He had tracked out and wired the sockets through the drylining and builder had filled in tracking with bonding or expanding foam. I'm thinking that these wires were never coming out again!

What are the requirements for when to use and not to use conduit?

Cheers,

D

Sponsored Links
No requirement to use conduit, unless the cables are of the single insulated 'singles' type, which I doubt they are.

When running cables behind dry lined wall its standard practice to clip the cables direct or use metal / plastic capping. The cables obviously need to be ran in the safe zones.

Capping is used to prevent damage to the cable from the application of plaster using a plastering trowel.

Conduit can be used but is not a requirement for pvc/pvc cables. Some people may use conduit (round or oval) as personal preference. I used this method when I wired my house a few years ago. Looking back it was probably pointless.

These cables were not behind the drywall. The spark cut into the plasterboard and insulation and the cables put along. Then the builder buttered the tracks up with bonding.

I take it this is standard procedure then? I thought perhaps it was a dodgy job.

Sponsored Links
These cables were not behind the drywall. The spark cut into the plasterboard and insulation and the cables put along. Then the builder buttered the tracks up with bonding.

I take it this is standard procedure then? I thought perhaps it was a dodgy job.

I see.

Sometimes this is the only way to run the cables if the they cant be fished behind. I take it the plaster board was existing?

When plasterboard is stuck with dabs of adhesive and you have to run cables behind you can fish them in sections but may have to cut into the plaster board where the adhesive is.

There is no problem as long as the cables run in the safe zones.

Yeah, Plaster board was existing but has been ripped out now anyways. I now have the new sitiuation of having the dryling renewed around this new wiring. Would this be a problem?

Thanks for the replies by the way.

D

One more question. What are the safe zones? Also, should the spark provide a cert?

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back