Wonky Stone Wall...how to straighten??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1910 solid stone walled house. All internal and external walls are stonework. The staircase runs up inside the house with the right side against the external wall and the left side being the front room wall (hope you understand!
Both walls currently are plastered and papered but are nowhere near level with bumps all over and about 50% of the plaster has obviously come away from the stone. The right hand wall moved with subsidence years ago and so has moved about 5inches in some places from level. I want to straighten it so i can paint. What is the best way?

Is it to dot and dab plasterboards straight to the stonework after removing all the old, or replaster it all having to build up layers to level it out? Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Dot and dab will hide it but i would cover with EML and then put a scratch coat of sand and cement. fix eml again scratch coat with sand and cement then float and skim this will strengthen the wall. ;)

Thanks for the reply jbonding but sorry im not sure what EML is? :confused: Do u basically mean build it out in layers of sand and cement until its level that way and then skim over the top of the sand/cement?

The left wall isnt to bad it just bulges out in the middle so i thought maybe i could get away with dot and dab? The right hand side is the bad one though it kind of twists as you get higher up the stairs from where it has moved so the bulges are in different places. Any ideas anyone else or jbonding again? thanks for any help!

EML (expanded metal lathing). You will be sound to dab the wall. If you want to strengthen the wall you could do both. Fix eml,scratch with sand and cement then dab on top. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks jbonding great help!!

Is there a maximum depth the dots of adhesive should be i,e. where the wall has a big hollow i would have to use a bigger dollop of adhesive? Should i pack out the areas with sand/cement 1st to get it somewhere near straight then dot and dab it on top?
Wat does the EML do? sorry never had any dealings with it!! :confused:

Thanks for your help mate!!

The EML strengthens the wall by tieing it all as one. They come in sheets and are fixed to the wall overlapping each other to give strength once a scratch coat has been applied. for the areas that dip in dab a off cut plasterboard, then dab on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back