Wood burner and heat activated fan

I notice looking at the original stove specification that it is possible for the flue gases to exit from the top ( as yours does) or the rear.
This means that the stove can be pulled forward, and a 90 degree bend would be needed so the gases exit the back of the stove, turn 90 deg upwards and the connect into the existing flue. The existing top outlet is blanked off.
The stove has a maximum output of 5kW - anything larger requires its own ventilation.
Personally I’d consider pulling the stove out a bit and use an eco fan - but of course it will encroach on your room space a little.
Food for thought I hope!
John

Sponsored Links
Can you draw us a top down sketch of what we'd see if a horizontal slice was taken of the entire wall, fire, everything at a height half way up the log burner door?

(If it helps visualize what I'm after, imagine you have a chainsaw that will cut anything, and you slice horizontally through your entire house 18 inches off the floor, then pick the now loose top of the house up and throw it away; what do you see left behind, from a birds eye view?)

Can you draw us a top down sketch of what we'd see if a horizontal slice was taken of the entire wall, fire, everything at a height half way up the log burner door?

(If it helps visualize what I'm after, imagine you have a chainsaw that will cut anything, and you slice horizontally through your entire house 18 inches off the floor, then pick the now loose top of the house up and throw it away; what do you see left behind, from a birds eye view?)
Here’s the floor plan? Does that help lol.

The space is big if you take into account the joining dining room which is open plan (open archway wall).

Attachments

• FAE55CD0-4884-4184-9CB2-44AA05F92F3F.png
    FAE55CD0-4884-4184-9CB2-44AA05F92F3F.png
    233.1 KB · Views: 41
Would this type of thing be a better set up? So basically remove our surround which isn’t very tall and increase the height of the space and get a wood mantle instead? So we could have a fan above? Or if not possible smaller wood burner to increase space above.

I believe the surround could be removed and the hearth could remain in tact as even though it’s stone they are superstore parts, just depends on how much damage is left removing the upper parts of the surround!

Attachments

• C1F59E60-74E7-4DAF-8A65-B17866A7E073.jpeg
    C1F59E60-74E7-4DAF-8A65-B17866A7E073.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 42
  • E3DB5AF1-9D93-471F-9454-A29FDCF06A41.jpeg
    E3DB5AF1-9D93-471F-9454-A29FDCF06A41.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A wood burner is primarily an ornament, not a means of heating your home.

Presumably you have radiators and a gas boiler as well?

A wood burner is primarily an ornament, not a means of heating your home.

Presumably you have radiators and a gas boiler as well?
Of course we have radiators and gas, but a wood burner is not just an ornament as you kindly suggest. Its purpose is to heat the surrounding area, yes not the entire home but the room in which it is placed.

My questions are around efficiency, do you have any insight?

Last edited:
You will get more heat from the stove if there is a larger gap above the stove to the top of the fireplace, also heat from the exposed flue pipe.

You will also be able to run a fan on top of the stove.

Would imagine the manufacturers of your stove have some recommendations for placement etc.

I've been heating my lounge for the past months, a great source of heat, and fingers up to Putins gas prices (y)

You will get more heat from the stove if there is a larger gap above the stove to the top of the fireplace, also heat from the exposed flue pipe.

You will also be able to run a fan on top of the stove.

Would imagine the manufacturers of your stove have some recommendations for placement etc.

I've been heating my lounge for the past months, a great source of heat, and fingers up to Putins gas. (y)
Thank you!

I am thinking the same, so to remove the surround, increase the hole (just the space above) the gap can’t be increased widthways as it’s inline with the chimney breast and install a new mantle.

Meaning it would be something like this? But potentially with a larger gap if we replace the stove with the smaller version… we have Hunter Allure 5 but could swap for Allure 4?

Attachments

• 005FC967-FA54-4199-AEE3-089F19121DAA.jpeg
    005FC967-FA54-4199-AEE3-089F19121DAA.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 35
Don't think you need to increase the gap on the sides, the last two stoves I've had throw most of the heat out the front and top, the sides not so much.

Have you already made a space for the stove or is that work happening?

I'd be tempted to double the space above the stove... based on the photo in your previous photo.

If you can't there is a 'thing' you can fit in the flue that has a small electric pump and a coil in the flue pipe that burns more efficiently (apparently) will see if I have a bookmark, as I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

You shouldn't have any problems with a TV above that shelf/mantle, it protrudes a fair bit and will be a good deflector.

Don't think you need to increase the gap on the sides, the last two stoves I've had throw most of the heat out the front and top, the sides not so much.

Have you already made a space for the stove or is that work happening?

I'd be tempted to double the space above the stove... based on the photo in your previous photo.

If you can't there is a 'thing' you can fit in the flue that has a small electric pump and a coil in the flue pipe that burns more efficiently (apparently) will see if I have a bookmark, as I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

You shouldn't have any problems with a TV above that shelf/mantle, it protrudes a fair bit and will be a good deflector.
Nope no work has been complete yet, the fireplace was installed about 10 months ago, I’ve contacted the company and have asked them to come out to look at our options to increase efficiency.

We could increase the top gap a lot if we reduce the size of the wood burner, otherwise it might not be double as the burner is kind of big competitively.

This is the current set up. You can see the stone mantle (original house feature we wanted to keep hence the not so good install) is pretty thick above the burner, so removing that have having a thinner mantle would make for more space. There’s also a tv above it currently…

Attachments

• DDD22DB9-E7A9-442B-81AB-1AF4FCB82B93.png
    DDD22DB9-E7A9-442B-81AB-1AF4FCB82B93.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
The amount of money you are going to spend will not be recouped in energy benefits.

If the chimney is sealed to prevent hot air escaping, and reasonably insulated with fireproof materials, the heat will have no option but to heat the room and the brickwork surround.

Incidentally, I have a friend with one of those stovetop fans, and he swears that if you hold your hand in front of it you can't feel any difference.

@Mr Chibs i previously posted the dimensions of the stove we have and the smaller version but here again! I think the output of heat is similar just the inside volume is bigger on allure 5.

Getting a smaller burner might not be an option financially it depends if we can sell ours and replace it or not!

Attachments

• D6586C48-4083-4DA7-8AFE-04F17BA4B5B6.png
    D6586C48-4083-4DA7-8AFE-04F17BA4B5B6.png
    298.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 44586C6F-1F4A-4530-8BCB-D5B1C5571252.png
    44586C6F-1F4A-4530-8BCB-D5B1C5571252.png
    268.6 KB · Views: 28
In my opinion, the current stove looks too large for the opening. It just doesn't 'sit right' in my eyes. I think the smaller one looks much better.

However, before deciding what route to take, I would compare the cost of replacing with the Allure 4 against the cost of any building work.
It may be that the supplier will give you a good part exchange deal against your current one.

For what it's worth, we have a multi-fuel burner which has approximately 8" either side and a good 12"-15" above. It comfortably heats our lounge which is approximately 14' wide x 28' long with a real wood floor. Dimensional size it seems slightly narrower and lower height than the last photo you posted.

Mr Chibs is talking huge sense here......whether you wish to spend the money is of course, your business!
Although few would want to rely on a multi fuel burner for primary heating, the output of around 4kW per room is not a bad bonus - it all depends how you are getting the fuel and how you wish to spend your hard earned cash.
My holiday gaff has full oil central heating, and a wood burner in the lounge and dining room which saves the kerosene big time.
I'm fortunate to have timber for two years (free) but have noticed the price of smokeless ovoids has rocketed.
The eco fans are designed just to move a small amount of air, and they do make a difference....I keep mine at the back of the stove so they get heat from the stove pipe and project it forward. Moving them to the hottest part of the stove top does reduce their life.
John :)

Ok so conclusion…

I’ve contacted the installer to come out in the new year to go through options.

They are to either replace Allure 5 with 4 (smaller version) to increase space around the stove (but first to check that a fan will be able to fit comfortably on top!) keeping the current surround.

Or to keep the current stove and remove the surround making the gaps above it larger to fit a fan and to install a new mantle.

I really appreciate everyone’s feedback!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back