Wood Burner - Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to install a wood burner in the middle of my open plan living/kitchen. The problem I am facing is where to run the flue and what is legal/in accordance with building regs since the wood burner would be in the middle of the room and not on an outside wall.

Are any of these an option?

1. Run the flue under the floor and up and out of the external wall. (Approx 4m run)

2. Run the flue under the bedroom joists and out of the external wall (4m run).

3. Run the flue straight up through the bedroom above and out through the roof?

Obviously box in with fire rated plasterboard etc.

Hope someone can assist.

Sponsored Links
1. is possible but would require ensured operation of a fan

2. is not possible. but the flue could be suspended below the ceiling

3. possible.

It would need nore than just boxing in with fire rated plaster board ( what would hod th plaser board in place, firs rated timber ? :mrgreen:

Find a suitable HETAS registered installer and get advice from that qualified person.

Bernard, I don't know what your trade or profession is but 1 and 2 are absolute non starters and potentially dangerous. 3 is a goer provided you use twin wall and you observe the clearances for boxing that the flue manufacturers recommend. For the record, fire rated plasterboard is not regarded as suitable for use near stoves as it is not heat proof..

Bernard, please limit your advice to repairing toilets as you will kill someone..

1 is an option, but will be very expensive and require some critical safety measures to ensure it is safe

There was a pub in London that had ( and may still have ) a triple fireplace in the centre of the room with the flue going down under the floor. It was fan drawn. Obviously being a work place the fire was supervised and no doubt there were procedures to deal with fan failure and pulling the fire.

A ski lodge in Germany had a log burner in the niddle of the room. The flue went down into the undercroft. This was fan assisted until the tall vertical flue outside the building was warm enough to ensure continued draw by convection.

I did suggest getting advice from a HETAS registered person.

Sponsored Links
I now recall that Whipps Cross Hospital ( my local when I was growing up ) use descending flue fires on the larger wards before a centralised heating system was installed

And there were these for churches and similar but also used in large houses where staff / servants could start a fire in the upward section of the flue to create a convection draw before the fire in the stove was lit.
descending flue stoves.jpg

A normal solid fuel stove cannot be interlocked to make the fuel go out if the fan fails.

Although the wood pellet burners will apparently just safely go out if the air inlet is closed off.

I wish to install a wood burner in the middle of my open plan living/kitchen. The problem I am facing is where to run the flue and what is legal/in accordance with building regs since the wood burner would be in the middle of the room and not on an outside wall.

Are any of these an option?

1. Run the flue under the floor and up and out of the external wall. (Approx 4m run)

2. Run the flue under the bedroom joists and out of the external wall (4m run).

3. Run the flue straight up through the bedroom above and out through the roof?

Obviously box in with fire rated plasterboard etc.

Hope someone can assist.

1 - No, not for a normal stove (a forced-draught wood pellet burner might allow it, but there aren't many of those about and there are even less purple qualified to install

2 - Horizontal flue runs greater than 150mm are not permitted

3 - Sounds OK in principle. Needs to be done in insulated twin-wall flue, so your HETAS installer will need his dry ticket and his factory flue ticket to sign off the installation

1 is an option, but will be very expensive and require some critical safety measures to ensure it is safe

There was a pub in London that had ( and may still have ) a triple fireplace in the centre of the room with the flue going down under the floor. It was fan drawn. Obviously being a work place the fire was supervised and no doubt there were procedures to deal with fan failure and pulling the fire.

A ski lodge in Germany had a log burner in the niddle of the room. The flue went down into the undercroft. This was fan assisted until the tall vertical flue outside the building was warm enough to ensure continued draw by convection.

I did suggest getting advice from a HETAS registered person.
Number one is not an option as it does not comply with HETAS requirements. Just because something was once done, doesn't mean that is can be done now...We used to paint childrens toys with lead based paint.

I completely agree , for a FLUE to go back on its self then under a floor ? basic science should kick in shorly ? , fanned solid fuel ? Where's the cut out , bg is talking out of his ass once again , I know it's a diy site but fook me there's giving good advise then there's giving dam right fooking stupid advise !

I don't give advise on this forum any more but decided that the advise given to a DIYer was so risky it was worth breaking my silence..

I did not advise to use a descending flue. I said it was possible. Which it is but very expensive and may not be permitted in a domestic situation

Did you miss this bit ?
Bernard, perhaps it is better for you to reply only to questions that you know the answer to and aren't safety critical

Why do so many people go off topic. The OP asked about how to vent a Wood Burner, nothing more fancy, so where does the discussion require postulations on Solid fuel stoves, fans, wood pellets, or any other paraphernalia.

For a wood burner to draw and run, it requires a vertical rise, so 4M horizontal will not allow that, so option 3 with a twin wall is the only selection from the OPs suggestion list.

Sunshine, have you considered siteing it on an outside wall in the living room area, and use a heat activated fan to blow the heat across the room, you still need a twin wall system, but getting it outside the house stops problems with the roof, and issues in siting the boxing in the room above.

Thanks for the replies. I wish we had a 'spare' outside wall to use! We already have 2 block pillars in the middle of the room (supporting pillars) with a space of 750mm between them. Is it going to be possible to install the wood burner between these 2 pillars, eg does there need to be a certain air gap between the wood burner and the block walls?

Looks like we will have to take it up through the bedroom then using a twin wall flue. Once it exits the roof, how far up will it need to continue out of the roof?

Does it need to be a certain distance from bedroom windows/velux windows?

We will of course have this installed by a qualified engineer but I am just trying to see what options there are at this stage.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back