Wood Burning Stove fitting... inspection by shop!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the weekend I arranged for a multi-fuel stove supplier/installer company to come and do an "inspection". The company told me beforehand it would cost £40 but would come off the price off job if I chose to go with them. I was happy to have the inspection but told the company on the phone that I would not require the smoke test as it had already been done. I expected the inspection to include someone going up on the ladder to look at the chimney. All the chap did was look at the fireplace opening and start reeling off what I needed and writing it down on a quote sheet. It was an effort to answer me when I kept asking him, "how much will that part cost?" He DID NOT work out what the optimal Kilo-wattage I would need (he didn't bring a tape measure - I had to get one for him to work out what size registration plate I would need), he wasn't sure if I definitely would need a vent (even though I told him I knew I would need one if I was having a stove over 5 kw and I know this conforms to Building Regs)! He said that because the one room went into an arch into another room it might not need it! He went outside to look at the chimney from across the other side of the road (with his wife in the car with engine running, I noted!) - I thought someone would have looked at the state of the chimney from the roof! He told me he doesn't normally do inspections but because he lived in the area he was asked to do it as it was on his way home - he lived in the area (he was 40 mins late and as said previously, he had his wife in the car). Finally, he told me that the lining was £50 per metre which I thought was extortionate and told him. He tried to justify by saying it was the top quality but he couldn't remember whether it had a 10 or 15 year guarantee! Surely if you are promoting something of such good quality you would remember the guarantee???? I REALLY WANT TO COMPLAIN AND DEMAND MY £40 back. Your advise would be much needed.

Sponsored Links
So basically you have paid £40 for a quote. ... Hmmm.. tell them you want the £40 back and get someone else in for free advice and a quote. There are plenty of HETAS eng's out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back