Wood burning stove. Supply of wood releases flying insects

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, as I tend to keep an attractive wood pile for my stove at the side of the chimney breast, I find it increasingly annoying that midge size bugs are floating around my reading light, that just have to be whacked to death.
Now, my wood is slightly damp and a little moss is showing, so I realise where thy are coming from.
The question is , can anyone recommend a way of dealing with these bugs?
apart from keeping the logs outside, I have also tried a UV light, I have even found that when the stove door is shut they manage to escape through the air vent!!, there must be a simple solution to this, (and I don't want to read in the dark either.)
Thanks
Keith

Sponsored Links
Try spraying the logs with a little bleach/water solution. It will shift the moss and maybe the bugs.

;)

Hi johnny, thanks I will give that a try, the swines was bombarding me again last night!
Regards
Keith

Also, if this wood pile is only for aesthetic appeal, once you have cleared your 'indoor' wood pile of bugs, is it possible for you to keep that 'clean' pile by the fire and use 'outdoor' stock to feed the fire? Thus eliminating the possibility of further infestation.

Sponsored Links
Hi Blasph,thanks, yip goog idea, but there is nothing better than just crawling to the stack of wood at the side of the fire for a log, (hope I dont sound lazy)!
Regards
Keith

have you not got a covered area to dry your logs before bringing them in?

What do you do about the slugs, snails, woodlice and spiders?

Hi John, When I get the logs delivered they are in plastic cattle feed bags , and they are left in the bags within the garage, then as I need them I take one bag at a time and re stock the wood at the side of the fire, so yes I think it will be a good idea to invest in a larger supply , and stack them in the garage to dry off.
Re. wood lice etc ? I have not seen any as yet, but thanks for the tips.
Regards
Keith.
PS, will drying the logs kill any midge eggs that are dormant, that may hatch when exposed to room temperature?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back