wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I am thinking about installing a wod burning stove into my cottage at the mo there is an open fire which heats a back boiler
is this going to pose any problems in changing over?
I know nothing about this subject so any help will be gratefully recieved

Sponsored Links
Regrettably if you know nothing, you will have to do some homework to learn. We can't tell you much, as you will not have the background to understand it.

BUT, if you fit a pure woodburner, it will not heat the backboiler.

hi thanks for the replies
what i was wondering was can i take the back boiler out and put a wood burner in either with a back boiler attached or without
i am hoping to have lpg central heating so there is no real need for the back boiler?

Sponsored Links
Do yourself a favour and keep the existing open fire. Much nicer.
The only thing that is attracting you to the wood stove is its ornamental design. And you will have to pay several hundred pounds for that. :(

An open fire is about 10% of the efficiency of a proper wood burning stove. You would be wasting fuel and your energy and time loading it.

That's the trouble with asking questions on the internet, ....................................

(edited by moderator)

simond said:
That's the trouble with asking questions on the internet, .....
I agree :!:
Get yourself a multi fuel stove with a strap on boiler and not a wrap around then if the boiler goes you won't have to sling the whole stove.
If you don't want a B/B then it does not matter what you buy.
You will need to buy class 1 twin wall flue liner and a few other bits.
This may help you... http://www.soliftec.com/CentralHeating.pdf

Yeah the reason i want to change is because of the efficiency
i read an open fire will lose 80% of the heat up the chimney as 80% of the heat from a wood burner goes into warming the house?
the one ive bought has a bolt on boiler
do you think i can use it without removing the old back boiler it would be nice if this was the case

But if you fit a stove you WILL have to get your chimney lined - by a qualified fellow. That will cost you over a grand in itself - unless u live in a bungalow.

Hope this helps!

The Great Grimly

:evil:

I hope you got a wood burner that burns both coal and wood.

I have installed one in the kitchen, to sum up, they look good and being a typical bloke, are great fun for playing around with. In all honesty though, unless you have got a large BTU burner they are not that efficient. The smaller ones like mine need constant attention and do not keep going all night in order that you can get it going again in the morning. The front glass keeps blackening-despite being an airflow one. The larger ones gobble up lorry loads of logs/coal........it's like running a steam engine in your own front room.

I thought I was a slave to the wife.........but now I'm a slave to the wood burner- don't know which is better! :rolleyes:

Hello Rupert the Mod!

But as you can see, I have made a useful contribution so please dont ban me!!!

Yours with suitable contrition

Grimly :)

The easiest way to clean the blackened glass is to rub dampend wood ash onto it - cleans it a treat!

Hope this helps!

Grimly

Will certainly try the wetted ash, Grimly. I knew that was the way to get water marks out of posh furniture.

simond said:

An open fire is about 10% of the efficiency of a proper wood burning stove. You would be wasting fuel and your energy and time loading it.

That's the trouble with asking questions on the internet, ....................................

(edited by moderator)

I have an open fire in my living room with back boiler and considered fitting a more modern stove. Not for efficiency reasons but because my two brother in laws and brother fitted them and I was impressed with the look it gave to their living rooms.
They use a similar amount of wood fuel over a winter period as myself so no big gain there anyway.
The cost proved much too prohibitive and any efficiency gained by fitting the new one would take decades to recoup , if ever. :(
I also have the benefit of a traditional open fire which adds character to my living space and would never swap this for a few pennys saved by fitting a supposedly more efficient stove
A complete non starter in my view.

Now what U got to say simond ?
OOh by the way you wouldnt get near my place. ;)

hi
why is getting the chimney lined so expensive?
i thought it was just a case of pulling a flexie lining down the chimney and attaching it to the stove?
Obviously not!
Also i thought on some cases a lining wasn't required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back