Wood dye identification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some faux beams done in the kitchen , the guys doing it left me some extra dye in case I wanted to darken it, it’s a brown granule, which I was told to mix with hot water. Anybody know what the brand might be?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Some of the brown dyes contain potassium permanganate, going purple in water but leaving a brown stain.

I very much prefer the spirit-based dyes. I used to get Wilko own brand (made for them by one if the UK factories) but Blackfriars and Rustins seem the same. Colron sell a "refined" water based one now that is nowhere near as good. I apply by brush for speed.

You can mix them in a jar for colour variation, which looks more natural. They are just combinations of brown, red, yellow and black colours.

Some of the brown dyes contain potassium permanganate, going purple in water but leaving a brown stain.

I very much prefer the spirit-based dyes. I used to get Wilko own brand (made for them by one if the UK factories) but Blackfriars and Rustins seem the same. Colron sell a "refined" water based one now that is nowhere near as good. I apply by brush for speed.

You can mix them in a jar for colour variation, which looks more natural. They are just combinations of brown, red, yellow and black colours.
Plaster needs water based .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back