wood glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need to use some wood glue on some pub furniture (chairs) any recommendations on some decent glue, and is it best to strap the chairs legs together as that's the bit where's its lose. got about 10 to do. any suggesting s welcome

Sponsored Links
get the joins as clean as you can
if you can only get the components partialy out drill a 6mm hole into the side off the tennon at an angle to reach the end so when you fill with glue and clamp up it will squeeze out untill the hole dissapears within the join

repaired joins will only be around 50 to 70% as strong as the origional

another tip is to use beech 8mm dowels and drill a hole centraly through the tennon and either leave sticking out 3mm or trim and or colour this will give the join a fighting chance in connection with the pu
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...rethane+Wood+Adhesive+750g/d180/sd3198/p52489

dont pay any more than 1.4p per dowel[8x40mm]
contact me if they are ;)

Get Titebond Aliphatic resin glue. It's very very strong when set. I use it to glue necks on to guitar bodies and you can imagine what tension the strings put on a joint. Not had one fail yet. :) :)

Sponsored Links
the trouble is most modern glues soak into the wood to give the maximum strength
the problem with re-doing a joint is the new glue cannot penetrate the wood surface so relies purely on surface contact and gap fill for maximum strength hense the dowels to add to the strength

The pub I lived in (Old man was the landlord) had quite a few chairs with the turned brace (Not the right name I know) just as a peg into the leg by about 15/20mm. Very difficult to re-attach and I think we tried araldite epoxy as well. (Was just a lad and probably did a lousy job anyway because it is loose but you can't pull it clear to clean the hole!

I will scream when some-one reminds me what that chair component is. You know what I mean I'm sure because we all put our feet on it as well!

Edit: Its a rail isn't it ?
2nd Edit SCREAM! - Footrail finally came to me.

need to use some wood glue on some pub furniture (chairs) any recommendations on some decent glue, and is it best to strap the chairs legs together as that's the bit where's its lose. got about 10 to do. any suggesting s welcome

dpsservices
Did I guess right - is the Rails around the bottom of the chairs you are trying to glue back rather than the mortice and tenon joints at the top ?

Just guessing it is that type of chair you have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back