Woodburner installation - am I being unreasonable about scaffolding cost?

Sponsored Links
At least he didn't get hung up for to long.:D
Looks like he was demonstrating the safety clutch.

Yes. Good stuff. That's how its done in the real world.

Yes that's probably true.

Out in the real world there were 39 deaths and 6482 serious injuries reported as a result of falls in the last full reporting period.

£400 for a scaffold still seem too expensive?

Sponsored Links
Talk me through how to recover an operator in a harness who has fallen and is not accessible from your scissor lift (not sure if you're suggesting restraint or arrest)

Cut the lanyard with a Stanley knife and let him slap to the ground. Job done.

Last edited:
I'm not the OP.
I fitted my stove about 3 years ago. Vitreous enamel straight into 300mm clay flue.
Never liked the idea of putting metal into the chimney. The MI's said fit one, I think hetas say fit them too and I think BC require it also. At least in NI afaik.
Been working fine and performs well.
Most official bodies are towing that line afaik
No cracks on the breasts yet to allow leakage and if any appear I can always wallpaper over them.:D

Jesus just get the quote rewritten to say 200.00 for scaffolding and an extra 200 on time and materials and be happy.

I'm not the OP.
I fitted my stove about 3 years ago. Vitreous enamel straight into 300mm clay flue.
Never liked the idea of putting metal into the chimney. The MI's said fit one, I think hetas say fit them too and I think BC require it also. At least in NI afaik.
Been working fine and performs well.
Most official bodies are towing that line afaik
No cracks on the breasts yet to allow leakage and if any appear I can always wallpaper over them.:D

Roger, I think that you will find the requirement for a liner is to improve the "draw" or "pull" of the flue.

By not fitting that you run the risk of the fire spilling products of combustion into the room. Particularly when the chimney is cold!

Some fire experts here will comment but I would say that it is potentially very dangerous without the liner!

Questionable if the site should allow you to even suggest they are run without the liner!

Tony

It's not an excessive cost.
I fitted my stove and the liner myself, 10 metres off the ground.
I attempted it with a ladder and bottled it a third of the way up as I was clearly going to end up dead.
Ended up hiring a cherry picker and operative for £240 for a half day and did it in about an hour.
If I did it professionally I wouldn't entertain anything less than scaffolding, out of respect for my own life and doing a good job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back