Wooden Beams - Lightening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon!

This is my first post, hopefully of many!

I live in an old building that originally was a brewery's grain store, built in the 1800s I believe. It was converted to houses about 20 years ago. It has many wooden beams running through it, pictured below.

Ideally, I would like to see these lightened a little bit. The house is quite small with not a lot of natural light pouring in and with low ceilings and the dark reddy brown that the beams are I feel make it seem a bit crowded.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how to get about this? I'm afraid I have no more information regarding what products were put on them, or what type of wood they are.

Thank you in advance!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you tried to sand them?
The colour may just be years of air grime, such as dust, nicotine etc, which has never been cleaned off.

Sponsored Links
Good morning Duchy, you could try soap solution on a small piece as a test area to see what it brings out of the wood or a mixture of vinegar and water with either method wipe off with a damp rag or cloth. That should give you an idea of how light the beams might get to. It’s a slow but tried and tested method that we used to give apprentices to do way back when. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back